1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker For 60's Lafayette/Univox amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GaryLC, Aug 24, 2012.

1. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I just picked up an old '60's Univox bass amp, branded Lafayette. It brought back memories, having used these back in the day. Separate head & cab, 2-6L6's for power tubes, 15" non-original speaker. Amp works great (obviously not a great bass amp, but nice guitar tones). I can't tell what the speaker is, no markings of any kind, but it doesn't sound very good, while the head sounds great through other 15" cabs I have.
    What would be a nice replacement speaker for it, obviously it doesn't have to handle a lot of power, and I'd rather not spend too much for it.

Attached Files:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You want it to do decent double-duty for bass and guitar?

An EV 15L might be my first choice for something like that. Little more on a budget, maybe a Peavey Scorpion.

If you want to make it more bass oriented, an Eminence Beta15 woukd give it some good thump. Probably too woofy/not bright enough for guitar though.

Assuming the cab isn't openback here. Ported or sealed is fine. Can mess with plugging ports if there are any. Pick whatever sounds best.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I should've asked...this thing has an 8ohm tap right? Otherwise we need to be looking ay 4ohm 15' s here, which narrows the options considerably.

4. Eminence Beta 15. That's pretty much the modern equivalent of what would've been in there back in the day, although probably slightly better quality nowadays. It'll sound rad.

Chris

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was going to say Beta 15, too, but since everyone else said it first, I'll just join in.

6. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Isn't some company making Jensen special design fifteens again? Thought I saw a catalog with them. That would probably be period correct. The Eminence is probably the best bet.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Jensen still makes speakers. I don't think they do much geared for bass thoigh. The Beta would make a nice little bass rig out of it for $79-$89. Offered up the other options in case he wants to go both ways, sort of all-purpose. Meaning sound pretty good on bass and still have guitar top end.

8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Call the guys at Weber. For about C-note, they can set you up with a period-correct clone of the speaker that would have been in there (Jensen, Oxford or whatever).

Their vintage replicas are much closer than the current Jensen-branded "reissues" that are floating around, and they sound great. Alnico or Ceramic, smooth or pleated paper, proper coil former, all that stuff.

They can also give you advice on upgrades (ie; same speaker but with a little bigger voice coil, or move up a higher model from that period), usually at minimal extra cost.

9. I've actually been looking at Jensen MOD series tens to make a cheap guitar cab with, Jensen certainly makes 15s still. I know they've got one in the MOD series that sells for like 100 or maybe 150 bucks. I wouldn't use it for a live-show bass amp, but it could probably do guitar well and be suitable for bass in minimal volume applications like recording.

^ I just saw this, I've also been looking at Weber stuff, do you know anything about their guitar oriented speakers - particularly the signature series - and how they compete with Jensen MODs?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Didn't consider Weber, but, they don't offer any real specs on their speakers, so you've no idea what you'd be getting. They maybe do a pretty good clone of the old Jensens, which means it'll probably sound great with guitar and won't be worth a damn for bass.

11. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

They do much more than just Jensen. And they have models with larger voice coils, etc. But still, pretty much everything they do is vintage in nature. No high x-max models to compete with 3015's, etc.

But that old Univox doesn't need a super-woofer...

12. in the guitar world Webers are highly regarded for getting the vintage correct and upgraded vintage sounds. That is, if you're shooting for just guitar use w/that amp. Otherwise I'll also cast my vote for either the Emi Beta or a PV Scorpion for bass.

13. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY

Sorry, I haven't been on in a couple days! 8 ohm head, and cabinet is sealed.....

14. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Will, great advice, I guess I would like it to do "double-duty".....I love the tube crunch on these for guitar.

15. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Steve, thanks so much, I hadn't thought of Weber!