1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker gauge: Is it okay to have a 16 gauge, 25 foot speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thudfromafar, Mar 31, 2009.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I was at guitar center and realized I needed a longer speaker cable, so I just grabbed one without thinking about the gauge thing. Will this give me problems or will it be fine?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    25 feet is about the limit you can get away with in 16 ga. Why you'd need a cable that long is questionable.

3. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Alright cool -- I actually wanted a 15 foot, but they were out. :meh: At least I'll be different.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Cut it in half, put plugs on either end, you'll have two 12.5s.

5. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    That's all there is to it? Where do I get the extra plugs and does it matter what kind of plugs?

6. I've always seen plugs and stuff in the cords section of decent instrument stores in my city. It seems like it would be a relatively easy to do, I think I could even do it and I'm about as useless as it gets when it comes to wiring and soldering things.

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    ah, then there may be hope for me. I'll check it out. Thanks