1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

speaker grills/covers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by granchulo82, Apr 18, 2004.

1. granchulo82

granchulo82 Guest

May 13, 2001
    Severn, MD
    i was just wondering how much the speaker grill or cover effects/affects the sound of a cabinet. the reason i'm asking is because i recently had some custom artwork painted on the grill of my aguilar gs212 the design looks good, but i would like something a bit more intricate on my next cab (gs412) and was wondering if buying a grill with smaller holes or a cloth cover would affect my sound that much, thanks for any reply

P.S. i will post a picture as soon as i can and anyone in the MD/DC/NoVa area that would like info on the artist can ask. he paints for custom motorcyle works and also does tattoos down in DC

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I would think that it would only affect the very high frequencies in the audio spectrum...probably beyond what our instrument produces.

If you're buying a metal grille with smaller holes...consider the %-age of open space of it vs. the original (I believe that specification is readily available from the metal supplier). If you're close, I wouldn't worry about it.