Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker grills...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 30, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What can be used as a speakergrill?
    I´m looking for a grill for my homebuilt cab but the ones in hifi stores are really expensive. I´d like the squared type and not the ones that fit just around the speaker. Any ideas?

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    the grill from a 56' buick wildcat, a billet grill, mesh, plexiglass, a paperclip chain...

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You can use the metal grill you see used as a screen protector on screened patio doors. You can find this type of grill material at most hardware stores.

All you would need to do is add a couple of supports under it (like the large rubber feet you find on cabs) if it still too flexible.

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Call your local sheetmetal shop. They have rolls of sheets that they can cut for you to whatever size you want.
    Wes

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The name for it is expanded metal.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Watch out for those corners, ouch!

Yes, call around at sheetmetal shops, ask for expanded or fine perforated, 16 or 18GA. They should be able to break (bend) the edges to make a tray shape to sit against the baffle. If you get desperate, ask me again, and I could whip up someting for ya, as in fact I work at a metal fab shop. I am contemplating a custom Laser-Cut speaker grill, but am unsure of what should go in it. (hey, I was suposed to come up with pics of the laser operation, wasn't I? Damn, I still don't have a dig. camera....)

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I made mine from some expanded metal I bought at Home Depot for very cheap. Edges were sharp, but after running a sander over it, priming it a few times and 2x finish coat it turned out very nice.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    or you can make a frame out of timber if that's easier for you.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the tips guys! Great as always.
    I will look for this "expanded metal". Just don´t know what it´s called in swedish.:rolleyes:

This is the last piece to my cab and as soon as the speakers arrive it will be done. I´m so excited. And I have taken pictures of the cab in different stages (for your pleasure ;) ) so I will try to post that as well when it´s finished.

10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    In Norwegian it is "strekkmetall" :).

You could also mount some plastic U-profiles on the edges if necessary.

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    jock,
    hey, I forgot to say that to mount it on the front of the cab I just cut to fit the opening (there is an edge around the whole front from the side-overhang--if that makes sense) and then used rubber pads/feet as the backing, then the grill and screwed it in with those dressy-looking washers on the front.

ok...here's a pic:

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is a really good looking cab TxBass. And that grill looks like what I would like for my cab.

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    thanks...best part is it's fun to build your own.:)

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Absolutely. I couldn´t go to bed. I stayed up till 3 in the morning building once I had started. Now when it´s almost done I have slowed down a bit to make the project last a bit longer.:p

15. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    hey...there's always a "reason" to create more cabs!! after the 1x15, I "had" to do the 2x10....now I want to do the 2x12 thing...

it just keeps growing and growing...oh well, gotta do something to take up my free time!

good luck to you on finishing it. PLEASE post pics so we can all enjoy your projects.:D

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Go to Home Dept (in the back near the plexiglass/raw lumber section). They sell 24x36" sheets of this decorative metal stuff (I forget what it's called, sorry) that works quite well as speaker grill/mesh. It's about $15-20 for the 24x36" sheet (depends on the material: silver colored, bronze, or copper, and the pattern of the metal).

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've used hardware cloth, sort of chicken wire like stuff...cheap, looks bad.

I've used expanded metal, looks good...just like Second generation SWR cabinets.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    And I've used good old guitar amp style grille cloth with a wooden frame and white piping (welt cord I think that auto interior guys call it). Looks nice but won't take a hit like a steel grille.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmm, this didn't get posted the first time...

Expanded metal grille

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This just in Swedish, because it doesn't contain any news, merely translations and remarks about the local Swedish market:

Jock, 2-3 mm sträckmetall är ett mycket bra, men tungt alternativ. Tunnare blir tyvärr för vekt, eftersom materialet är mjukt och hålen relativt stora. En annan nackdel är alla skarpa hörn som du måste ta hand om, med nån list. Men den kan skaffas via de flesta järnaffärer till rimlig kostnad.

Det bästa, men också dyraste alternativet, är att leta reda på någon som kan stansa ut en "bikaka", dvs sexkantiga hål, i 2 mm plåt med 2 mm mellan varje hål, hålen bör vara ca 8-10mm. Absolut bäst, men det blir svindyrt...

Lycka till!