Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker gurus - is this cheap speaker any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Feb 6, 2003.

1. PA speakers aren't the same as bass speakers. but hell, 31hz for Hz response, that'd handle your low B well... I'd suggest a 2x10 on top of that, or atleast a tweeter. All your going to get wih an 18 is thunder and booms, and no definition.

2. I don't mind the normal "shortcomings" of the typical 18" speaker. I'm going for the old low-thuddy sound. I hate tweeters. :D

I'm just wondering if the characteristics lend themselves to bass amplification. I'd only be hitting it with 100 tube Watts anyway.

Chris

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    That thing needs huge box to get that 31hz though. Looks like 31hz is -4.4db in an 11.7 cuft box which is roughly 46h x 29w x 18d. Thats a big ole cab. If you go with a more managable cab on the order of 5ft the f3 will be around 50 hz and there will be a large hump around the 80-100 hz area. I would say keep looking.

4. Actually, that's good. I've got a cab I'm trying to fill, and it is 48" x 30" x 20". It was a Crate cab, so it probably had a cheap speaker in it to begin with.

I don't mind big cabs. I used to use a 4' x 2' x 2' cab. :D

What I'm really interested in is the transient response characteristics. I know it's not going to be a JBL, but is it useable?

Chris

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    In the box I mentioned tuned to 30hz your looking at around 17-18 ms. It not great but definately usable but its starting to get tubby, it also has a very low xmax which is another downside. 4.4 is very low to be using at such low frequencies I would want at least 9 mm for a dedicated sub so you would need to keep an ear out for the speaker if it starts crying in pain.

P.S.

Im no guru, im just using WinIsd to plot the driver for you.

6. Yep, I've run it on Win ISD too. Since this is going to be used with a 4-string bass and a 100 Watt tube amp, it may work just fine. I don't think it will see any signal lower than 40Hz, and mostly it will see 80Hz and above.

I don't know, I may just hold out for a Black Widow 18" speaker. I think it would definitely be higher quality.

Chris

7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Man, that sure is a whole lot of lugging around for it not to be used for anything for anything that low. There are drivers out there that will crush that thing in 2-3cft cab that are great for 45hz and up with better response. Thats a BIG ole cab.

8. I had a pair of the 15" version of that speaker - prolly the best cab Ive ever owned! remarkably tight sounding for a 15. its an Eminence. I had it in a 24x24x48 bass bin (removed from a local club). It weighed a ton and was impossible to move, but thats the price you pay for good tone;).

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There's a nice looking freshly reconed PAS 18 on eBay right now...

SWR uses PAS drivers.

FWIW, I have no connection with the auction, etc.

10. Cool! It's in Atlanta, too, only an hour away.....

I called a reconer in a nearby city, and he can put new braid-wire on the original 18" speaker for about $30. He said if it needs a complete recone, it'll be about $90. I'll probably just go that route, and it'll be the original speaker which hopefully was matched to the cab by design.

I've got a CTS 18" that needs repair too, so I've got some choices.

Looks like I'm in for $100 no matter how I slice it.

Chris