Speaker gurus - Replacement 6.5" 8 ohm speaker???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Business, Nov 19, 2015.

1. I got a tiny practice combo (epiphone studio bass 10s) and it's distorting even at low volumes. I know it's a pos and most would prob say toss it, but can anyone recommend a 6.5" 8 ohm replacement speaker? I already contacted epiphone and they do not sell replacements. The little combo is open back. I know that's not the best design. I was thinking maybe a ceiling or car speaker perhaps? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. AstroSonic likes this.
  3. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    AstroSonic likes this.
  4. Thanks guys. Those seem overly adequate for a tiny 10 watt amp. I suppose they would never get stressed and last longer though.

5. I'm not too concerned with it sounding stellar cause it prob never will. I have bigger combos and rigs. I would like for it to cleanly keep up with an acoustic since it would be a super easy grab and go.

6. It's also a super shallow small box and even though it's open back, it appears it may require something with a smaller magnet to fit so that it doesn't hit the top mounted amp. It's a cramped space.

7. Go to Goodwill or other thrift shop and get a subwoofer used for home stereo or computers for $5-10, pull the speaker. It will work for that.
    I got this for $5, pulled the woofer put it in a practice amp, it works.

[​IMG]

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  9. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Abarson, I want to use the amp when i'm jamming with my buddy on his acoustic, not for practice. Headphones won't help there.

10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Arjank likes this.
  11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I like the Faital 6FE100.

12. Find out the ohm rating for the stock speaker, then buy a used 2x10 or 1x12 cabinet of that rating (likely 8 ohms) and wire up the output of your amp to a 1/4" plug. Now you'll have a thunderous 10 watts of clean power (uh, not much at all) but at least the speaker won't distort. The amp likely will though if you turn it up.

Next get rid of combo and buy a used head to pair with your newly acquired 2x10 cab and you'll have a "real" setup. ;)

13. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
  14. Is faital known for not being too reliable with excursion specs?

15. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    There are more companies that use some kind of calculation method, Oberton does that too but they use a different (less optimistic) one.
    Eminence e.g. uses Klippel to determine xmax (10% total harmonic distortion).

Which method is best? I would say it would be best if all companies used the Klippel method so the xmax values can be compared.
    It would also be nice to see how much the distortion rises above xmax. I like drivers that increase distortion gradually, the Oberton's I use do that.
    I once compared an Emi 2510 MKII (4.2mm xmax Klippel) with the Oberton 10B200 (5.75mm calculated). In practice the Oberton could make twice the excursion before it created as much audible distortion as the Emi....it was a pretty huge difference. I just don't like the farty sound of the 2510 MKII when it exceeds xmax, it just doesn't sound musical, it's ugly. If I want a slight edge to the sound I use my Taurus Tux compressor (tube setting) or some other pedal, but that's just my opinion.

16. That's interesting, I knew companies measured differently, but didn't know the details. I know that celestion seems to underrate their excursion values, but I'm no expert.

17. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    yes, Celestion uses Klippel

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take whatever EQ you have on the amp and bass and roll off the low end, do not boost it at all. You may notice some of the distortion goes away.

You have now leaned why open back bass amps are a total fail :banghead:

19. Tried the eq suggestion and it still distorted pretty bad. I may just buy a new little kick around combo and donate this little guy to the local music school that does lessons for free for students who can't afford it. I've been meaning to take them some of my old strings anyway. I can get one of those mcm speakers for $15. I may try one just to give some kid something that doesn't sound like poop.

B-string and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. Dang! The mcm distorted even more than the stock speaker. Some kid at the local music school will still get a new amp for Christmas, but I will prob tell them it's better suited for guitar. Or metal? :roflmao:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021