Speaker guys! One more time...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jun 3, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My 210 based on the Eminence B102 will soon be finished. Looks great so far. And I have learned a lot from all of you about building, constructing and WinISD.

I´m thinking of building two 1x12" cabs next.
    What speaker would you reckomend for a reasonably small (think Aguilar GS112 size) cab.
    I´m only playing 4-string Fendertype basses and my favourite sound comes from amp/cabs as Ashdown and EBS.
  2. I looked at four Eminence 12" drivers:
    • Kappa Pro 12
    • Omega Pro 12
    • Delta Pro 12
    • Kappa 12
    The Omega Pro 12 and Kappa Pro 12 tune below 41 Hz, where the others tune higher. All run in SBB4 alignment in 1.5 cubic feet or less.

The Omega Pro 12 is the flattest response, and provides the most output at 41 Hz by +2dB over the others. This driver is also a high quality, low Qts type, good Xmax, excellent Xmech, and a strong magnetic motor. This driver is the only one of the four with a 4-inch voice coil and has the heaviest magnet. It is designed specifically for use in a vented box. Group Delay numbers are very good in SBB4.

The only downside to the Omega Pro 12 is the lower SPL. It is 94.1 (calculated) compared to 97.6 for the Kappa 12.

All four drivers are SBB4 capable, all have Eminence best magnetic structure (0.375" magnetic gap) and longer voice coils. All four drivers will produce a maximum SPL of 119 before thermal limiting.

I'd pick the Omega Pro 12 for myself. It can be had for $151 from a major mail order vendor in the USA.

Link to Cabinet Design

The design link above shows the cabinet size, etc. All units are in USA measurements. You can use a 3.0" (7.62cm) port to simply the tuning. Port velocity is above 0.100 MACH at 40 Hz, at 600 watts, but should be fine at lower power. A larger port will cause significant design problems due to the much longer duct required for this small a cabinet.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot!
    Great answer as always, Mr Gavin.
    I´ve been looking at those drivers myself but wanted your opinions.
    The Omega Pro looks good to me as I want it to be able to handle some lows.
    Am I right that when doubling the conearea the volume goes up with 3dB? So for two Omega Pro 12"`s the SPL will be 97,1?
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW the Usable Frequency Range according to Eminence is only 65Hz - 1.2kHz.:confused:
    Can it handle the lows of a bass?
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I suspect that's a typo.... It should say 35Hz-1.2K.
  6. The SBB4 performs better at 41 Hz than does the Optimal Flat alignment. The -3dB point is at 65 Hz with the SBB4, but the rollof is more gentle than the Flat alignment.

You can expect to be -8dB to -9dB at 41 Hz with the SBB4 alignment, or -11dB with the Flat. The SBB4 group delay is better anyway, so it will be tighter sounding.

This is a 12", non-subwoofer driver. Don't expect it or any of the other 12" Eminence above to have massive, pounding bottom at 41 Hz. Ain't gonna happen. But... it will sound nice and tight, and will be correctly tuned in a small cabinet. I like the Omega Pro 12 better than the full range 10" offerings. The B102 10" is still my favorite for midbass bi-amping above 125 Hz.
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks again guys.;)
    Im not looking for the biggest lows. Im more into a tight punshy sound. But maybe I should go with one Omega Pro 12 and some other driver that is better suited as a sub.
    Are there any 12´s that will work in that case (sub for a 4-string)or do I have to step up to 15`s and 18´s?

BTW I got the specs for the drivers in my current SWR Bigfoot 2x12 cab that I hope to be able to replace with two 1x12".
    These speakers gives me all the lows I need. I guess the Omega Pro 12´s will make me happy, right? Do you think the Omegas will be better than these?

Here are the available T-S parameters for the SE-1260S:

RE= 6.57 OHMS
    FS= 55.07 HZ
    QT= .440
    VAS= 3.26 CF
    CMS= .2318 mm/N
    MMS= 36.04 GMS
    XMAX= 2.70 mm
  8. Just looking at the specs, the Omega Pro is a much better driver. The SE-1260S is a high Qts driver, short Xmax (read: cheap). If you were happy with these drivers, the Omega will please you for sure.

As for subs... try the Omega Pro as a 1x12 first.

The whole point of a pair of 1x12 is small size, ease of hauling around, and simple operation. When you add subs, you add crossovers, high power amps, etc.

Depending on your tone, you will probably require a tweeter or other high frequency unit with the Omega Pro. It is all done by 1,500 Hz and falls off rapidly higher than this.
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I was thinking of using one or two 1x12´s with the B102-drivered 2x10 for highs and mids with a 1500W stereo poweramp. So I hope I can get by without tweeter and crossover. I believe thats too complicated for me.:D And I always turn off the tweeters anyway. There´s no tweeter in my image of the P-bass sound.;)
    I was hoping for a 12" that can handle the fundamental of my 4-string. And I think the Bigfoot did a great job there although a bit muddy.