Speaker Handling for Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    It seems the more I learn about all things bass, the more questions I end up having. I'm still looking for/thinking about some cabinets that'll work well with my Mesa 400+. As I've mentioned before, the Ampeg SVT410 is just too heavy for me to want to deal with up and down stairs. While I've been looking for other, lighter/more manueverable speakers, I've run into more questions. I'm just not sure what the 400+ will work with.

Some people say, you need speakers with good efficiency in order to get the Mesa loud enough. Others say if you use speakers with too low of a wattage rating, you'll blow them. While I know both of these to be true, it seems the speakers with the high efficiency have mostly low ratings, while vice versa for the speakers with high ratings (note: generalization).

So, my question is, what should I be looking for in a cab, besides weight issues? What works well with the 400+ when it comes to these two aspects, or what else should I be taking into consideration here. FWIW, I play mostly indie/grungey/punky rock with one, possibly two guitarists and a drummer, but I'd like to keep options open for other playing possibilities, though pretty much all rock. Also, I looooove the tone of my Mesa 400+, and don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I'd prolly live in a cardboard box if it meant keepin' her. :smug:

So, thanks for the help, again. If I need to clarify anything, or just search the forum better, just let me know. Thanks.
  2. you can try out the Mesa Powerhouse cabs, the 2x10 cabs are light and give good tone with the 400+. Thats what I mostly use when I play live thru a PA. Or the you try the new Schroeder(sp?)cabs. I heard good reviews in here. And they are efficient according to the website.
  3. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Yes, thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into the Powerhouse and the Schroeder cabinets, and I'm still considering both potentially. But I guess what I was asking, in a nutshell, isn't what cabinets would be good, as I kinda asked that in my last thread, and it'd be kinda redundant.

Instead, what I meant to ask was, what should I be looking for in a cab to match the 400+? If I like the overall tone of the 400+, and need something relatively loud, what kind of power ratings/efficiency ratings/whatever ratings should I be looking for in the specs to match the 400+? What kind of specs does a 400+ respond well to? What doesn't it respond to? Should I even be asking this? Thanks for the help, guys.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    IMO, ideally you would want something that can handle 400W to 600W and still get as loud as you might want (relatively efficient).

Some cabs are very conservatively rated (Bag End and Bergantino spring to mind).

Either a Schroeder 1210 or a Berg 112 mini stack (any combination of the HT112 &/or EX112) or a Bag End S15-D plus a D12-D might get you where you want to be.

Nahas and Low Down Sound also make some cool cabs that are loud and compact.

If you're on a budget, I love the sound of the older Mesa Boogie Diesel cabs: a 1x15 + a 2x10 would work as well, you'd just have to find them used (cheaper!) (one minus though is that they are heavy for their size).