1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I recently bought an ampeg bxt-115hl4 cab from a friend.

I am running it with a Peavey Tour 450 head, and the cabinet is rated at 350W @4ohms and I would like to have the ability to push my amp without worrying about the speaker.

What 15" speaker would be a good choice as a replacement to be able to handle the amp just fine?

Sorry for any ignorance, if more info is needed I'll provide it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    There's allot more to it than just finding a driver that can handle more power and slapping it in there. You'd need to get the internal dimensions of the cab, so you can find its volume. Then you'd need a modeling program like WinISD to model different drivers in that cab and find one that could handle more power (and sound good). Even then, the results are not guaranteed.

You'd be better of selling it and getting a cab that can handle more than 450W at 4 ohms, or just being careful with it.

3. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    Any 15" speakers that works under 4 ohms and could handle 400W will do. Just avoid cheap ones. A 8 ohms could also fit but you'll have less power.

Eminence or Celestion are well known brands (some other brands use them for their cabs), Eminence Kappa-15C for example (I don't know what it worth).

4. Based on what I've read on here the tour 450 is supposed to be able to handle 2 ohms but more at your own risk. Wonder if it would be better to try an extension cab.