Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Identification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi all,

I have found a couple of old 15" speakers. They have large round magnets, and the following stamped on the back of the magnet:

906084-1
    137 627

906084-1
    137 629

Does anyone know what these speakers are, or how to find out? Thanks!!

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Those numbers look like they might be Eminence. If you could post a picture of them, it'll help a lot. The frame of the speaker is often recognizable.

Eminence will give out the full Thiele-Small parameters of any speaker they build from the ID number, but a lot of other manufacturers won't, so it might not be of any help to know who built them. Without the T-S parameters, you have no way of knowing how to build an appropriate cabinet for them.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I believe the 137 part is the EIA code for the manufacturer. According to info on the Triode Electronics Site, an EIA code of 137 means that the speakers were built by CTS, not Eminence.

The year of manufacture ends in 7 (you'd have to guess which decade) and the week of manufacturer is the last two digits (week 27 and 29 respectively).

FWIW, Eminence' EIA code is 67 and their speakers have a date code of 67 YYWW (where YY is the last two digits of the year and WW is the week 01- 52).

If they're old, they probably belong in sealed boxes, I guess...or you can find an old article on how to measure T-S Parameters and go for it... Fs, Vas and Qts aren't that hard to measure/calculate if you have a DVM, a sine wave generator and a custom made box for Vas and Qts calculation.

Have fun!!!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Havn't dinked with speaker codes in a while but the speaker code should be at the beginning of a number sequence so I'd go with the CTS response. You can punch speaker codes into a search. I remember there was one site that had probaby 50 or a hundred of them listed, and other useful info.

Also if speaker sits for a long time (esp. 15's) without being used or rotated the spyders will settle. Not to mention speakers where out like everthing else anyway.

For what it's worth

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Even looks like a CTS...

If they are from the '60s, then they would be from '66.

To find the link between EIA 137 and CTS, I did a google search for "EIA code 137"

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey Billy,

Do you have a reference on instructions detailing what you need (like the box you are describing) and how you would do this? It would be cool to be able to do, but I know so little about these things it would require a bit of homework.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll dig into my files and find the articles that I have on the subject.

I'll let you know what I find...

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    One more bump!! Just in case!

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Gabu, What else are you looking for?

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Gabu, since you have good pics and a part number, I'd suggest emailing Gerald Weber at www.webervst.com, as he has seen just about everything when it comes to vintage speakers. And while you're at it, send email to Orange County (CA) Speaker Repair and see if they also have any info that you're looking for.

I agree with Bill that they were originally used in a sealed cab, but they will still work in your vented project cab. They look like they are 25 to 40 watts. I wouldn't hit them with a low B. :)

Nightbass

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi Billy,

Nothing in particular. I was just checking to see if anyone else had anything else to add.

I am planning on making myself a 2ft box to do my measuring of the speakers this coming weekend. I can hardly wait until my wifey comes into the garage and suddenly sees another cab in the making... :D

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... Interesting suggestion. If I were to take 'em to OC Speaker Repair their recones are rated at 200w. That would definately help them to handle my SVT.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I hear ya...I believe that I had to promise not to build any more cabinets myself... :crying:

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe - She always knows its coming too...

Me: "Hey, Honey... Let's go to Home Depot."

Her: "Home Depot?"

Me: "Yeah, I would like to look at wood."

Her: Eyes rolling... "Wood? I don't suppose you are planning to fix the kitchen drawers?"

Me: "Umm... Well...."

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia