1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Jack question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TUEP, Mar 11, 2008.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I have an old Laney Linebacker 100 bass head. I only have a Peavey 2x12 guitar cab for it, I have never had a bass cab for it since I have been using the Ampeg or Peavey, Anyway I noticed it has 2 speaker jacks.

It says 100 @ 4 ohms on the back. Would each jack be sending 100 watts into 4 ohms into two separate cabs, or would it be spliting the signal and sending 50 watts into two ohms?

2. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    i believe what it mean is that the maximum RMS is 100W at a 4 ohm load so you can either have 2 eight ohm cabs running at 50W a cab or one 4ohm cab running 100W into it im not sure so dont quote me but i think thats what it means

3. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Wonder why they would design it like that?

I mean 50 watts isn't going to push anything..much.

4. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    You can't split the power output of a mono power amp, BUT.....if you plugged two 8-ohm cabinets into those jacks (which are connected in parallel) for a total of 4-ohms, each cabinet would receive only 50W, because they would share the output equally. Conversely, if you unplugged one of those, you'd STILL have 50W, because your load is now double the minimum load impedance of 4-ohms, which was achieved by two-8-ohm cabs in parallel.

Got that? :D

5. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    So what would happen if I plugged in two 4ohm cabs?

6. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Amp failure more than likely. It's not designed to go below 4 ohms. If you plugged in one 4-ohm cab though, it would be getting 100W (based on their specs).

Remember that 100 tube watts can be perceived as considerably more than 100 solid state watts. A 100 watt tube head is still quite powerful. The Sadowsky SA200 is "only" 200 watts but it kicks serious butt.