speaker lead - options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mindabout, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    I have a Behringer BX3000T amp - 300W at 4 ohms. I may be going to look at a speaker cabinet on the weekend - so far I'm not sure if its a suitable match for my amp.

The Behringer has a jack for a speakon plug and then either side of that it has the smaller jacks for the speaker leads that look the same as guitar leads. The manual says that if you're using a single cabinet to use the speakon option, and if you're using two cabinets to use the other jacks with the smaller leads. The cabinet I may be considering is only set up for the smaller type of lead.

I am wondering if anyone knows what would happen if you plugged into the cabinet using the smaller type lead into one of the jacks at the back of the amp.

P.S. I don't plan on getting a second cabinet at all ever.
  2. It is possible that the two Jack sockets contain switching elements to prevent you plugging three speakers in together - this could give you less than 4 ohms, which might blow fuses or destroy output devices.

Since the amp on the website is clearly labelled as having parallel sockets, I would expect one speaker to work in any of them.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You can buy a cable w/ speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other. If I was just trying out the cab I personally would not be afraid of trying one of the 1/4" outs. Make sure you are using speaker cable, not instrument cable.
  4. Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks guys :) Now I can afford to be excited that I'm going to check out some gear tomorrow.