Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker life

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babaseen, Jun 15, 2002.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Question for the equipment experienced! :confused:

In regards to speakers, how long do they last? I have an Eden cab, the D-210T (8 ohms) that I've had for over ten years. The cab has always sounded great live, but recently I've been using it in the recording studio (at lower volumes) and it seems to bottom out on the low B or certain other notes like the open D string or when I play tenths (never seemed to notice this live, i guess due to the band ambience). I'm powering it with a SM500 and I sure this baby has plenty of head room. I'm guessing the speakers have reached the end of their useful life. The big question: Do speakers need to be replaced or re-coned over time (how much time is the paper cone good for) or are they good until they just don't sound good anymore?
    --seen

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/

Check there.

They do sell replacements for their own speakers which is my suggestion, and they could probalby tell you how long they should last since they work with them.

Peace
    Nick

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I read somewhere recently, from a tech to the pros guy, that many of the top pros get new speakers or recones done every few years because, suposedly, speaker cones get fatigued over time. Sounds possible but I've had my main cab (a 410) since 1989 and it seems fine.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Speakers do change with time and playing.

Some cheaper old speakers has foam around them which rots and crumbles away. Im sure alot of us have seen this.

But even good speakers do this. I experienced this mostly with the Carvin speakers I built a cab for.

At first My 2-15"s sounded a little dull (too tight), but after a while they started to sound more alive (a little loose). In time im sure they will die (become flabb).

Im sure its like that with most speakers, and that every speaker has its own lifetime.

Peace
    Nick

5. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    thanks to all that replied...I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in the D-210T with Hartke speakers (aluminum). Does anyone know where you can buy seperate Hartke speakers for a reasonable price? I do not see seperate speakers on their web site.

Also I saw on one web site a warning about reliability of Harke speakers can any Hartke users tell me if their is any truth to this warning. Thanks,
    --seen

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You should only replace the speakers with the ones that were origionally in it. The cab and ports are tuned to the speakers, and other speakers will react differently.

Besides, Eden makes great 2-10s. Theyre the only 2-10's Ill use. Hartke makes great 2-10's too, though I still would say that the Eden are better.

Peace
    Nick

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had my 410XL since 1989 with no problems. I also have a 210XL that I've had no problems with. The Hartke speakers that were in the original Guild/Hartke cabs had paper connecting the aluminum and would separate under stress from changing temperatures. They stopped making them this way early on.
    I don't think Samson Tech/Hartke will sell you raw speakers. They will only replace or recone once they have the damaged ones. You will have to watch ebay and BASSGEAR.com. Get the 8ohm (vs. the 16ohm) versions if you can.

Please post the site that had the "Hartke speaker warning". I'd like to see it.

8. Like any mechanical devices, speakers do wear out over time. The most common thing is a loss of rigidity in the surround (connects the cone to the basket). This makes the speakers more compliant so that they'll reach their maximum excursion under less power. It often makes them sound muddy and "slow." They'll also bottom out and fart.
    Like Nick Man said, you should replace the speakers with the same type that were in the cabinet before. The cabinet is tuned for those drivers and putting different ones in can cause unpredictable results. I don't know of any specific warnings about Hartke speakers but I do know that I've seen more blown up Hartke drivers than any other bass cab manufacturer's drivers over the years.... Draw your own conclusions from that...:D

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Very possible, but I prefer to look at it like this: Rocket fuel doesn't last long, but boy do you go fast.:D

The surround was the problem with the early Hartke drivers I mentioned earlier (I didn't know the term).

I don't know what these guys are doing to their Hartke's to blow them, but I've had my 1989 cab at volumes (occasionally) where the speakers looked like they were going to leap out of the cab and I still don't have a blown speaker. I play professionally so this cab has been used, on average, 48 weeks a year, 4-6 nights a week, about 4 hours actual playing time per night, since 1989. Thats a lot of hours. If that ain't a testimonial to their endurance I don't know what is. I've had secondary new Hartke cabs come and go in that time that sounded no better than this cab so if mine had degraded I would've noticed the difference.
    I think some of these guys look at the Hartke (being aluminum) as some kind of super speaker and probably push them past limits ANY speaker should be pushed to so ,subsequently, many are blown from abuse.

10. DBeall

DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    Unless your replacing your current speakers with speakers that have the exact same thiele/small parameters the tuning on your box is going to be off...could be a small difference to an unbearable difference in SQ....

If your box is sealed, than that's another story...match manufactures recommend airspace to that of the box...

...Or for ported you could just retune your your box using a speaker program like WinISD to figure out proper port lengths, along with the given diameter (or width if using a rectangular port) of your port...

11. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA