Speaker Magnet Material

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sparkie, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm not sure if I read it or heard that traditional magnet materials were becoming scarce. Then I see that Dave at Avatar is moving away from conventional magnets offered on his products. At least on the 15" speakers. I'm kind of leery of all the hype associated with Neodymium. What do you hear out there?
  2. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    There are two kind of "traditional" speaker magnets--"alnico" and "ceramic". Neither is becoming scarce--not even remotely.

Neodymium magents have been a round for a very long time, but it has been, until recently, expensive to make them. The advantage of neodymium is high strength \low weight. The disadvantage is brittleness and as I understand it, heat resistance. Brittleness isn't an issue in a bass cab, and apprently the heat issues have been resolved

Avatar is moving to neodymium because it's way way lighter, so you can have a 300 watt rated speaker that weighs two pounds instead of 12.

i use neodymium speakers all the time--there's nothing whatsoever to fear, and they are much much easier to haul, which is the only reason like them. As far as I can tell, there's no differenc ein sound
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neo is likely to take over completely at some point not due to a lack of ferrite or strontium but because with the manufacturing of drivers going to China the cost of shipping them may soon exceed the cost of producing them. That scenario also applies to shipping of finished cabinets within the US, where shaving 20 pounds off shipping weight could soon end up saving $20 off the cost of the box. And before you bemoan the Chinese, they're not the ones who determine the cost of gasoline and diesel fuel.