1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Mounting: Wire Tab Orientation? Up or Down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voided3, Apr 16, 2018.

1. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Question for the TalkBass gurus: When mounting a speaker in a cabinet, have you ever noticed any ill effects from mounting it with the speaker terminal tabs facing upwards as opposed to downwards? Do the tinsel leads from the terminal strips to the voice coil run the risk of hitting the cone more when they face upwards, due to gravity?

2. It shouldn't matter.

If the tinsel is too long and too week so that it might droop down and touch the cone, you shouldn't use those speakers.
    If you really think that will be an issue, face them down.

If you're on the fence about it, orient the speaker so the terminals are on the side.
    And depending on which hemisphere you are in, it might be important, which side you put them on. :woot:

voided3 likes this.
  3. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    So really I should be gigging in the vacuum of space to prevent this issue!

I ask this question as my Orange OBC115 came with its Kappa 15A driver installed with the tabs facing up. I did have an issue with the tinsel leads vibrating against the cone, which I was able to resolve by adjusting the terminal strip away from the cone slightly. However, I have a Kappalite 3015 on the way for this cab and was wondering if I should take this opportunity to adjust the orientation of the new speaker.

Facing them to the side or downward would be the most likely way to prevent this, then? The Kappalite has threaded terminals instead of the crimp connector/solder tab style of the original Kappa 15A, if that matters at all.