Speaker movement: how much is normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I'm in my band situation, I play CGCF (On a BEAD bass), and ADGCF, through an Eden WT-300, and a 410XLT. Now, the speakers move when I play. Duh. But, they seem to move a good bit. Which, thus far, had done zero damage, but I can't help but wonder how much is normal. I'm only going about 130ish watts through a 700RMS cab, so I'm not to worried about over powering it, but, with the low notes kinda down there...well, I kinda worry. It's not like they are jumping out at the grill, but the movement is very visible.

How speaker movement is safe, or, "Normal"
    Oh, and just because I'm a GASing for it, I think the next thing I buy is gonna be an 8ohm Eden 18 to drop under the 4x10...Drool...
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    With the watts your running it doesn't seem to be overpowering the 4x10, and if the sound stays decently clean you should be okay. With higher sensitivity cabs they respond better to high power transits in the low notes. I've noticed it with my Epifani 2x12 and SWR 750.(750 watts)
  3. so how much is normal....?

I run a carvin R1000 through a mesa 4x10 capable of handling 600 watts RMS, and I have gain at about 1:30/2:00 and master volume at around 2, and my speakers move prolly 3/4 - 1 centimeter when i play real hard, and it seems fine. I have been told that most canes can move up to an inch and still be safe. Now if its happening evertime you play a note, thats prolly not too good, but I htink the occassional JUMP isn't gonna hurt anything....

Still interested though
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The speakers used in bass cabs are designed to have a lot of "throw." You need this to produce the low frequencies. I think it's fun to watch those hummers move, especially when I'm down on the B string. As long as you're running at that low power, just enjoy the show.
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Now that we're on the subject, I got a question about my 410XLT. The thing is brand new, never really blasted it loud, and it whoops ass in tone. But when I play at almost any volume but just right above 1, the upper right speaker jumps out more than the other, only on the low B string notes. Is there something wrong with this cab? Is it under that 2 year warantee thing? What should I do? The tone seems a little floppy on the low strings. Maybe my EQing is wrong. Help, thanks. And sorry if for stealing the thread; didnt mean to.