Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker ohm question, don't think it's a repeat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coyoteboy, Jan 22, 2004.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Alrighty. I haven't seen another question like this in regards to driver impedence, so here goes:

Is the nominal impedence of an individual speaker a design choice based on application, or do the laws of physics dictate the impedence of a specific driver according to it's design?? In other words, could a conventional driver with an 8 ohm inpedence be just as easily constructed to display a 16 ohm or 2 ohm inpedence??

Thanks to the techie folks here!!

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Pretty much a choice that could be any impedance. Some impedances have limitations due to the size of the wire needed that make them difficult. Usually you want to wind the wire down on one layer and back up on the next, so the ends are located near the cone.

It is possible that a specific coil size (due to long throw needs) might be hard to make in a particular impedance with a particular gap width.

Once you make one impedance and like the performance, it isn't as easy to swap to a different impedance. The weight of wire may change, the way it winds might be different with a different wire size, etc, and you might not be able to reproduce the same performance in a different impedance.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm curious. Can I ask what happened to make you ask this question?