Speaker parameters...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 16, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive been studying bgavins great spreadcheat about Speakers.
    What I wonder is: Is there a conection between a speakers volume needed for a correct tuning in an SBB4 alignment and the ready speaker cabs capability to handle lows? Or is it that some high end drivers are able to produce the same lows in a smaller cab? Does this make sense? :meh:
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I believe the answer to your question is Yes.

The speaker's designer has to start out with a goal in mind as far as ultimate enclosure size, frequency response, power handling, etc. and then balance all those factors when designing the voice coil, choosing a cone, spider and surround.

I suppose that the more expensive drivers have more R&D behind them (to maximize performance).

I'd have to go back to Thiele and Smalls original papers to see how they got their minds around relating a woofer's characteristics to a few very useful parameters and why they chose the ones that they did.
  3. Cabinet 101:
    You have three parameters: Loud+Small+Low

You can pick any two out of three for your cab. The laws of physics dictate there is no free lunch.

Loud+NotLow+Small (JBL E140)
    Loud+Low+NotSmall (bass bins)
    NotLoud+Low+Small (car subwoofers)

You can make up for NotLoud by adding drivers and lots of wattage. I have (up to) four 1x15 subs that consume 500 watts each, and produce a paltry 116 SPL maximum (each) at 1 meter. But they knock bottles off the bar at the other end of the room. Hauling them has gotten old. Very old. But... they do the job for outdoor gigs where you want a big bottom and lots of coverage.