Speaker Phase Problem???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnL, Nov 21, 2000.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I recently bought an unloaded 1x15 cabinet, and when the replacement speaker I ordered for it came in, the speaker wire connectors were unmarked as to which tab should be connected to where on the cabinet's input jack. The speaker came with no diagrams. Before I damage the speaker, does it matter which tab is connected to which part of the input jack? Will it cause a phase problem or worse if I accidentally reverse the connections? Thanks guys!
  2. Reversing the speaker will in no way affect anything. However, when you have more than one cab, and you picked the wrong phase with your new speaker, things will go wrong.

Connect a 1.5 volts battery to the speaker's terminals. If the cone moves forward (out of the box), you have the right polarity, and you can mark the terminal connected to the + of the battery as "+", or red, or whatever......

Hope this helps.
  3. Take a 1 1/2 volt flash light battery and with a short piece of wire touch both speaker contacts. One to the - side of the battery and one to the + side of the battery. When the plus or positive battery contact pushes the speaker away from the basket (outward direction) mark this contact and connect it to the tip of the jack. You may need to reverse the battery to drive the speaker outward. Disconnect the speaker from the amp while testing with the battery. Hope this helps.