Speaker placement anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Esquillama, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hey, I was thinking about trying something new this weekend.
    I'm going to leave the 1x15 home, and only use the 2x10.
    However, I'm going to try putting the 2x10 on an amp stand
    in front of me either next to, or above the vocal monitor,
    and put my rack nearby on the floor.
    I always have PA support, so I'm not worried about putting
    out a large sound to the audience with my rig.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing this.
    I read a thread recently about someone switching to a wedge
    floor monitor instead of a regular amp rig, but I'm not ready
    for that. This would be my first step in downsizing.

Any comments (especially pics) would be helpful, if others
    are working with this setup.

2. You'll lose a lot of low end if it isn't on the floor, just be prepared. Don't try to make up for it with a lot of bass boost in the EQ or you risk blowing the speakers.

Floors and corners tend to accentuate the bass response.

3. Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I agree with those statements.
    Everytime I tried to raise the 2x10 off of the floor wierd things with the lows and low-mids started to happen.
    Maybe if you just try to tilt it back on the floor.

I just bought a GK Backline 210 and it really does the job since it's more like a floor monitor and can keep up with a drummer at practice. Since I am also runnning through the PA I only need it as a monitor. I know your not looking to go that far yet.

4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    You might get some static from the drummer. If your monitor is directional and doesn't splash him he may miss out. I used to shoot it in from the side, and that way he got a piece of it as well.
  5. The key phrase is "PA support". All you need the backline for is hearing yourself.

Ear level is a great way to hear yourself without being a pain in the ass to the sound man, nor washing the stage with bass.

If the drummer needs it, put the cab on his right, you stand on his left. You both hear it, he gets the brunt of it, but no big deal... he's a drummer...