speaker placement ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willwonka, May 15, 2003.

1. Quick question, getting together to jam this weekend, will be the first time we are using a PA system. My question is, there is not a lot of room in the basement, after all the speakers and drums are set up. We are just using the PA for vocals.

PA Speakers 2-3ways (18", 12", & horn in each) BIG!

Bass cabs 1- 2 x 15" ampeg
    1- 4 x 10" ampeg

Guitar 1- 200watt marshel combo, I think.

Question should all speakers be lined up against 1 wall all facing one direction, or can they be set up in a circle formation around the room with us in the middle, or would you have to worry about feed back?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hope this is the right form, if not, go ahead and move it, and yes i did a search.

2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    In proper terms, this is called a monitor or foldback system; the PA is for the audience, not the band. You do often use the same general equipment, it's just the purpose that it serves is different.

The bass & guitar cabs can go pretty much anywhere. The monitor cabs will need to be placed so that the vocalists microphone picks up as little sound as possible; this is basically what causes feedback. Sound gets going in a loop - sound goes into the mic, then gets boosted in the amp, then out the speakers, then INTO the mic again, but louder.....etc. To prevent feedback, you'd want to point the monitor cabs completely away from any live microphones, but then you won't hear it very well. So the compromise is to point the monitor at the singer, but in a position where the microphones sensitivity is weak.

So basically, you want to point the monitor speakers as directly at the singers face as possible - 180 degrees from the "live" side of the mic.

Singer . . . . .Mic . . . . . Monitor
    :oops: . . . . . O--- . . . . . . <----

If you've got an EQ of any type that you can use with the monitor system, you'll want to. Preferably a 31 band graphic. That way you can cut the frequencies that are prone to feeding back and get a lot more volume out of the sysyem.