Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker popping when switching amp on

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Oct 12, 2005.

1. i have a SWR LA15 combo
    i'm not sure if this is normal for this amp, but when i turn the power on the speaker push's out a fair bit and makes this loud kinda popping sound thats hard to describe. and this is with the volume down, if the volume is up a bit, it scares when the i turn the amp on , it sounds like the speaker has blown. :meh: but the amp work perfectly fine besides this.

my marshall guitar amp doesn't do this, and i have never seen other combo's do this.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not good. I'd bring'er in for service!

Joe

3. From the manual:

Make sure that the VOLUME control is set to the minimum position (fully counter-clockwise). Locate the POWER SWITCH on the right side of the top panel and turn the amplifier on. The switch should illuminate in red. Upon powering up, don’t be surprised if you hear a small pop. This is absolutely normal.

On my Workingman's 2004, there is a speaker mute switch to avoid this pop: mute, turn on, unmute. The explanation my manual gives (the LA series one omits this) is that the extra filtering to avoid the POP would degrade the tone. It's ok, and nothing to worry about.

edit:
    I'd say it's more like a loud pop than a small one, when I forget to mute it.

4. thanks for that! i have the older style LA15 amp, and i don't think it mentioned any of that in the manual

5. I was getting this with power on of my SWR. I put a .047 mfd. 400 volt cap across the power switch which helped.

6. did it affect the sound of the amp at all?

i'm thinking of wiring up a mute switch for the speaker, after reading the workingman's have it.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A SWR's do that.

It's there signiture.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What?!

OK, then. ..Guess I learn something new every day. What I learned today leaves me thinking "I'm glad I went with GK".

Joe

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'll punch my wife when she wakes me up tomorrow morning and say "sorry, I was dreaming I was an SWR amp".

Joe