Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker port/road case question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just got a flight case for one of my Aguilar 4x10's, the pullover type, so the cab sits in a small two inch high "tray" lined with foam with the wheels on the bottom of the case. Standard flight case arrangement, it seems. Case has a bit of history, it was owned and used by Trey Gunn on the last King Crimson tour, still has "Trey Gunn/King Crimson" shipping stickers on the top.

Unfortunately, the lower ports of the cab are covered by the lip of the lower part of the case that it sits in. I assume this blocking of the port is going to cause problems with the sound and performance of the cab, right?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. It depends. On how much of the port area is blocked. If the ports are 4" and the lower lip of the case is blocking 1" of that, I wouldn't worry. Any more would be detrimental to cab performance.

My $0,02 educated guess.

4. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The lower port is 100% covered, but the upper port is still totally unobstructed. Last time I peeked inside the cab was open inside to all 4 drivers sharing the same space. Nevertheless, the case blocks 50% of the port area by blocking the entire lower port.

I guess I'll have to lift the cab out of the bottom tray every gig. I've seen people tilt the cab back by placing the front edge of the cab on top of the lip of the tray, but that won't work for me as I stack my rack on top while playing.

Thanks, all.

5. I know everybody does it, but doesn't it stand to reason NOT to place the head on top of your cab? I mean even the best soldering job is going to come undone after a few years at shaking around 30-40 hz. Put the head on a chair or something. I've been trying to think of a way of getting a Vox like rack rolling tray thing to be a head stand.

6. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Excellent point, but actually I use a one inch thick piece of dense foam between my cab and rack to absorb the bulk of the vibrations. That's why the rack won't stay up there if its tilted. Some stages are a tad cramped and there isn't room to lay the rack on the floor beside the cab, unfortunately.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You could put the 410 onto of the reassymboled flight case. It would get it off the ground for you. If you have enough room in the case to get the top over your cab, you could also take the foam out of the bottom, and stack a few sheets of plywood (or make a little bridge), and put the foam back in. That will raise your cab and hopefully unblock the port. I can't see why that wouldn't work for you.
    Wes

8. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wes, you hit the nail on the head. The interior of the case is about an inch or two higher than my cab, so I CAN just insert cut-to-size wood planks and raise the bottom of the tray so the port is clear.

Finneas J. Whoopie, your a genius!

Thanks a bunch. :hyper:

9. More often than not, the solution is a lot easier than the complicated mess we make it out to be.

Good job, why didn't I think of it! :)

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just came out with a wonderful new product available at my on-line store.

They are called Case Lifters....designed to raise your cab from the bottom of your flite case to prevent port hole blockage. As part of this limited time offer, you can have your very own custom set of Case Lifters sent to you for three payments of $75. Act now, and we'll make the last payment for you. So, that's only two payments of $75.

:D

-Mike

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The funny thing is that you could probably sell it for that much, if you were a famous company.

Eric, I wish I was a genious. I also wish I could play bass anywhere near as well as I can come up with worthless crap to build.

Since we are both in Columbus, and I still haven't come down to see you band yet, I could easily crank out that bridge for you in about 10 minutes. Shoot me an email about it. If you could tell me the exact deminsions, I will just bring it to the next show and we can try it out.

Later,
    Wes

12. Now if you make it so that there's a "sub-harmonic resonance chamber" underneath the cabinet and above the floor of the case... there's another $75, and less materiel!

13. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You could probably put a few aura bass shakers under there, and power them with your amp...