1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker positive & negative

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patman01, Aug 30, 2008.

1. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    putting a new speaker in a Peavey combo--I've got a blue and yellow wire hanging down--anyone know which one is positive and which is negative

does it matter?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It does, so be sure you mark which is which with masking tape before you disconnect them from the old driver.
    Assuming this advise comes too late try the Peavey site.

3. Would there be damage to the speaker if they poles are reversed? Or just an "out of phase" speaker (if there are 2)

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There's no damage potential unless you run it with an extension, and then if they're out of phase you could toast both of them trying to get adequate output as they cancel each other out.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Blue is positive (when the connector cup end hasn't been messed with).

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Get a battery. D cell, 9V whatever. Touch one wire to the + and one to the -. If the speaker moves out, the wire on the + is the positive. If the speaker sucks in, the wire on the + is the negative.

7. So they only damage would be from pushing it too hard and trying to get volume out of two speakers (it won't harm it otherwise?)

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    He wants to know the polarity of the amp output wires, not the driver.
    Right. Neither the amp nor driver care about polarity so long as there's only one driver.

9. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    well, it's back together...I used blue as hot (thanks greenboy)..

I will most likely never run an extension cab with this combo, as that would bring it down to 2 ohms---Peavey says this is doable, but I've never run a power amp down to 2 ohms---in the summer most of what we do is outside, and running a 2 ohm load with an amp that doesn't have a fan would be asking for trouble...