1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Jun 26, 2014.

1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I have a Peavey 15" Black Widow in a Peavey enclosure. Playing my Framus bass thru it last nite I noticed that the 5th, 6th and 7th fret on my G string sounded dead with NO sustain. Put it thru my Ampeg and it sounds fine with plenty of sustain and clarity.

The Peavey lacks a horn. Is it possible that the speaker in the speaker in the Peavey enclosure does not have the range for those frequencies or just going bad?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Buzzes, rattles, rings from a cab can be something coming loose that vibrates in sympathy with those frequences, but the sound going dead on a couple of high notes usually doesn't indicate a speaker problem. In any case, wouldn't hurt to go through and see everything is tightened up. Could be a problem with the bass and the speaker change was just coincidence.

Can you repeat the problem consistently while keeping everything else exactly the same and only changing speakers?

3. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Thanks for the idea. I tightened the speaker upm and now I am pretty sure what I have is a bad fret. It's a 70's guitar so I should have figured that. It has better sustain on the ampeg amp but still taspers quickly on the sustain. Time to dress the frets!

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If the black widow is quite old, it's likely that the internal foam filter for the pole vent has deteriorated and bits have lodged within the gap binding things up. Find an experienced recone guy to approach this because its probably salvageable without replacing the basket but removing the basket can be very tricky with the gap bound up. In any case, the gap will need extra careful cleaning as the residue is very sticky. It's not a good DIY project the first time as its easy to destroy an otherwise good part.