Speaker Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, May 15, 2001.

1. In my Genz Benz 212t-xb. I hear something inside rattling. It's in the top left speaker. I don't know what it is. Should I bring it where I got it to have them check it out? Could this just be a loose wire or something? I don't really feel like spending a lot of money b/c I just bought my warwick. Any help will be nice. Thanks guys.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

kick - I'd take it in. I don't know how many hours of use you've got on it, but Genz-Benz aren't exactly bargain basement rigs.

If it's a mettalic rattling, it could be your voice- coil. It is constantly vibrating because it transfers its vibrations to the cone.

If it's more like a plastic rattling, it could be the voice-coil form. It attaches your vibrating voice-coil to the cone, so there's a whole lot of shakin' going on there, too.

If it sounds like a loose wire or two, you could take a look at the wires that attach the voice coil and the speaker terminals. They are in constant motion, too.

I don't even own a soldering iron, so I'd be at the shop.

Good luck!
  3. It's only when I play the low notes. Want me to make a quick recording of what I mean?
  4. rickbass

Naw. See, the low notes are pushing your speaker components harder and delivering more juice to the speakers. The speakers' excursion is greater.

It will be most apparent on low notes, but I bet in time, you get the same result with higher notes.
  5. so I'm best off bringing it to the dealer and having them check it out?
  6. rickbass

If it's the place where you bought it, you've got some leverage. You paid good money for a class amp and it petered-out on you! What the deal, here, Mr/Ms Storeowner?

If they are an authorized dealer for the amp, so much the better. They HAVE to take care of you. An authorized dealer may give you a loaner while yours is in the shop, if you tell them you absolutely cannot be ampless, unless you got the amp used on the cheap, like through eBay, you don't have much ground to stand on.

I've brought a couple of things in to a local shop with minor problems and they fixed them on the spot at little or no charge. From the sound of it, literally, yours may have to spend a few nights though.

If the place you take it isn't where you bought it and they've never seen you before, you may have to take whatever service they are willing to offer. They're holding the winning hand.
  7. Well. I feel dumb about the metal thing. Well, that was b/c when I adjusted the height of my string on my warwick, I forgot to lock it back so the saddle was vibrating. But there IS still a fart from the speaker when I turn my amp up higher than 1-1.5. It is more noticealbe for the lower strings.. I've heard it from the others when turned up. I plan on bringing it where I bought it from. I bought it new from the place. I believe they're an authorized dealer. Well, I'll keep an update on this as time progresses.