Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by permagrin, Nov 8, 2005.

1. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I just got a nice used speaker cab shipped to me. Checked it out and it sounded like crap. Took off the grill, did the 9V battery thing, and only one of the drivers moved. Tapped on them both, and again only one thumped back.

So I took out the 'bad' speaker, it felt like perhaps some of the insulation was jammed against the cone and not allowing it to move. No such thing. I then pushed on the cone, and it would move, but it's not floating, there is a lot of resistance.

What's the problem? Could this have been damaged during shipment? Thanks folks.

2. Sounds like the voice coil overheated during its previous use, and distorted. Time to recone or replace that speaker.

There's also a chance there's a mechanical issue, like a bent speaker frame or dislodged magnet.

Unfortunately this probably wasn't caused during shipping...

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Thanks Bill, I hate confrontation, but I also hate getting screwed. I just got off the phone with two different techs who both told me essentially the same thing you did. One mentioned that there was a remote possibility the magnet became mis-aligned during shipment, but that the 'scraping' was a tell-tale sign of a fried voice coil.

Anyone have advice for me as I ask the seller for compensation? I did pay with Paypal, ....?

4. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    The advice you ask for:

Ask the seller first for either a full refund or to compensate for replacing the speaker; email first, followed by calls.

If they do not comply, threaten going to Paypal. If they still don't comply, then request a refund from Paypal.

Sorry to hear about you getting hosed. Stinks.

5. You got burned by a **** head selling a smoked driver.

The very good news is you paid him using PayPal. Follow the eBay rules EXACTLY, and the eBay time table EXACTLY, and you will get your money back. PayPal will go into his account and pull the funds back out to credit you if he does not make good.

I had a ****head pull this stunt on me, and he was amazed when PP pulled funds out of his account after he burned me on a microphone transaction.

I burn down fraud artists by maintaining a permanent link on my web site to their fraudulent activies. They are like roaches... shine a bright light on them, and they scurry back to the dung heap to hide.

Link to eBay Cock Roach

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately this wasn't an eBay transaction, the seller listed the cab on the Eden forum. I emailed a civil but firm letter to the seller, told him what I'd done, what the techs I talked to told me, and what I wanted him to do. No reply yet, but I talked to him over the phone before buying and he seemed like a reasonable guy... then again, he told me he'd had the cab since it was new (this one's from at least the mid 90's based on an older style badge) and it never had any issues, but the banana plug jacks on the back have been replaced and the date stamp on the bad speaker is 2002. Doesn't add up.

Paypal still might be able to intercede but I'll have to contact them for specifics. I'm still hoping to work things out, if not I'll try to work with Paypal, and if that doesn't resolve things I do have two phone numbers, two emails, and know where the guy works....

I'll let you all know how/if this gets resolved. Anyone ever file a non-eBay Paypal claim?