Speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I was wah-ing it out today when I noticed a not quite farty noise, but more like a flappy noise out of my 2x10. I look closely to, and to my suprise I ripped a speaker. The thing is its not really a rip, its like s surface tear. the blue paper has a 1/4 inch rip in it, but the paper underneath is fine. You can only notice the sound when your about 6 feet away from the amp, anywhere further and its unnoticeable. should I do something about this, or should I think about a new speaker?
  2. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I would think it would go completely soon,get it reconed,what make is it?
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Its an SWR goliath Jr. (1987 original fullrange crossover). I'm guessing the speakers are eminence, due to the blue cones. I'm not sure, I'll take them out later and look.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Re-cone time!

The work out why you tore it so you don't do it again.
  5. username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    If its just a tear in the paper or a loose dust cover i have repaired many of them. I used to use silicone which worked good but found that the new "liquid electrical tape" works great. It is just a rubberized type of glue. I fixed a friends 10" speaker that got rained on and torn. That was 5 years ago and he is still using it. Worth a try before paying for a recone.