Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcm, Dec 19, 2000.

1. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I'm using a custom built 1x15 300wt bass cab (8ohm) and I'm finding that it is not giving me a very good onstage sound. The clubs that I play in all have decent inhouse PAs so I dont need to project very far just enough to give the drummer a buzz. There is a lot of acoustic cladding of some kind inside, if I remove this is it likely to open the sound up a bit? I realise the best thing to to try it at a gig but the next one is 2 weeks away and my only rehearsal room is my front room so I'm wondering if anybody has tried this. I think the cab came from a PA system hence the long throw properties but I'm a bit too skint to get anything else at the moment. I use a GK rb400 to drive it with an 8ohm 2x10 on top.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    That padding inside is supposed to be there. It goes a long way towards the way a cabinent sounds and serves to soak up some of the resonances. Personally, I wouldn't remove it - but I suppose that you could and see if you like the sound. You could always put it back in. The speaker frame isn't loose on the cabinent is it? Otherwise check and make sure that none of the padding has fallen down into the speaker assembly itself. Also, the speaker isn't a subwoofer (as in car audio) is it? Most car audio subwoofers don't habe much in the way of treble and aren't very efficient.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In general, the "padding" IMPROVES the sound. It gives the effect of a slightly larger box plus helps dampen and reflections or standing waves inside the box. I have often ADDED it to cabs that didn't have any and heard significant improvement in the sound.

Exactly what is wrong with the sound you are getting? Perhaps it's just an EQ issue.

4. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    The main problem,which I apologies I didnt really make clear, is that the cab seems to push the bass out a fair distance but doesnt give me or the rest of the band an onstage sound. This was ok when I was playing in a backline plus vocal PA band and needed to get the sound out but now I'm in a band that tends to use inhouse 3+K systems. We could put some bass in the monitors but this isnt always suitable and to be honest I prefer to move some air behind me and leave only the vocals in the them. I think part of the problem is that the cab was made for a PA system so the long throw properties are part of the design. I think maybe I'm trying to achieve the impossible in changing the character of the cab. The speaker is well secured. Unfortunately the 2x10 I use is pretty substandard so gives me a bit of sound but doesnt carry to the rest of the band.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    So basically, you're looking for more stage volume? That seems to be a common thing that people say about 15's (though I've never had a problem with it). The solution that I hear the most for this problem is to add either a 2x10" or a 4x10". Since you say that your's isn't the greatest, perhaps it's time to upgrade that cabinent instead of the 2x15". Otherwise, I'd look into the 2x15"s made by SWR, Eden, Hartke, and Ampeg - I've heard good things about all of them.

6. You should also try tilting the cab upward, so you look the speaker straight "in the eyes".