Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker problems in NEW CABINET HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hi. I just received an Ashdown 2x10 ABM cab. The cab was listed as "new old stock" and sold to me by an ashdown dealer. Well, I plugged the damn thing in expecting the same lovely sound I get from my other ashdown 2x10, and not only did I get no bass response, but the volume (even cranked) was nothing. The speakers move and all, but the sound is like playing through a little guitar amp (all thin and tinny). I tried switching cables, etc, and the problem persists.

So, my question is, what could the problem be? Wiring? Are the voice coils gone (there are no visible tears in the speakers themselves)? What the hell?

Thanks

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Sounds like a wiring problem.

Check the speakers with a 9v battery on the speaker cable-

Do they both move the same way?

Do they both move like the other cab does?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like ESP-LTD wrote, it does sound like a phasing problem with one of the woofers...

Any easy fix if you don't mind removing one of the speakers from the cabinet... If the dealer is near you, I'd have them fix it. That way, if they puncture a cone or whatever, they can get you a new speaker...

Where are you located?

4. invisiblebass

invisiblebass

Sep 19, 2005
    Also..check your bass's battery ( if it has one ) I've had my bass battery die all the sudden and my speakers all when bizzirk. At first i thought i fried my sh ity Behringer 350W head...

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    One thing I did notice was the two woofers were not moving the same way. I'm a little new to multi speaker cabinets (used to use 15s) so I am wondering if they are out of phase.

6. If they are moving in different directions,yes they are out of phase and won't have any bass response to speak of.If you are fairly handy with tools you can remove one speaker and just reverse the wires connected to it.That should cure your problem.If you aren't comfortable doing that have the dealer you bought it from do it.

7. Reverse the wires one 1 of the speakers. It sure sounds like they are out of phase. Keep in mind that even when they are moving the same way they will also have to move the same as your other cab(s).

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't just switch the wires willy-nilly. The positive signal (tip of a 1/4" plug) should be going to the positive driver lugs (marked with a + or a red dot). Wire it backwards and the cab will be out of phase with your other cab.
    I'd make sure that the drivers are the same model, chances are someone swapped them out at some point. Very likely the dealer pulled one for a customer under warranty and later replaced it, perhaps with the correct driver, perhaps not.

9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I pulled the speakers out...much to my surprise I found the red wires attached to the negative terminal on the speaker from the crossover. I then found that red wires from that speaker attached to the POSITIVE terminal on the second speaker...now I'm no electronics genius but I do know that red means positive and black means negative, and that the wiring should be consistent. Looks like they were wired out of phase...thanks for all your input...

Now where's my soldering iron...

10. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    ...made sure to connect the red cables to the positive, black to the negative, VOILA! Fixed.

Thanks again for you help, fellow bass mongers. I now have the amp of doom.

11. Great news! I hope that mistake saved you some money at the store. :D

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Maybe that's why it was NOS... ;) :eek:

Congrats Fawkes007 on a job well done!

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I know you're only joking but chances are, that's EXACTLY what happened.

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Oh my lord...what a difference! I was running just a 2x10 all along and it was so frustrating. Now I have punch out the ying yang. Can actually feel what I am playing, and it makes such a difference in how I play. Very, very happy...now just one more issue to deal with...see next post.cc :hyper: