1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxoges, Dec 29, 2006.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have an old 70ties Kustom 4x12 Lead cabinet
    Today i discovered it's broken. No sound whatsoever.

The solderings to the cones look intact, so I suppose it's speaker buying or speaker repairing time.

If I decide to buy four new speakers, is Eminence delta 12 a good choice? I can't adfford the neo option. total price for 4 eminence delta 12 is $520
    What about the cheaper Beta model?

I could buy a used Randall 4x10 with Eminence Legend B10
    for $728 and trash the kustom cab...

Oh I live in sweden. The prices i submitted are the local prices here.
    [​IMG]

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the cab is probably broken because you played bass though a guitar cab. bad. that cab will probably never sound good for bass no matter what speaker you put in it. find a bass cab.

3. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I had it and played bass through it for more than 10 years.

4. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Hi maxoges,
    Even though that cabinet is for lead guitar, it is big enough that it should sound great for bass guitar. A lot of people use cabinets smaller than yours for bass.

Have you checked each speaker with a 9 volt battery? It is possible that some are still good.

If you are not concerned with the looks, you could just replace two of the speakers with bass speakers and then plug the two remaining openings.

I think that Eminence BassLite S2012 speakers would sound great in that cabinet. They do better if they have more airspace, so if you just put in two, they would still sound good.

5. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    Doesn't seem like they offer that speaker here.
    delta, beta and kappa are the ones availible

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Did It go from working fine one day, to all speakers totally dead the next,
    for no apparent reason?

If so, I would be checking the input jack and wiring very closely.
    Have you confirmed that your amp and speaker cable are still working?

7. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tried the amp and chord in a guitar cab. The soldering join is intact.

8. i think he meant to check the jack on the cab. not that the jack on your amp/cable/bass

open the cab up and look for lose wires. its very uncommon that a cab would go from working fine one day to dead the next. the only way i could see that happening is if you played so hard the last time you played it that the glue around the dust cap or otherwise inside the voice coil heated up, melted, and locked all four drivers in place.....which is needless to say, very unlikely

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Last time I used the cab was at a gig. The last band (who used my cab) played loud.
    After that I transported the cab back to the band's rehersal room, where It stood unused for two weeks.
    My bandmates dropped the cab while carrying it down some steps. Only from one step to another.

Like I said. I opened the cab up and checked the solderings both to the input jack and the speakers

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Connect a 9v battery to the terminals of each speaker, one by one. The ones that don't move are broken, the ones that do are probably fine, indicating a wiring problem not a speaker problem. If it is wiring, test w/ a multimeter until you find the bad spot, or just replace it all, wire and a jack are cheap.

It is not recommended to put random speakers in random cabs. Instead you are supposed to have broken speakers re-coned whenever possible. If not possible, you need to measure the volume of the cab and carefully match speakers to it using T/S parameters. That's too much math and $ for me, so I've put random speakers in random cabs and gotten lucky a few times. Don't mix and match speaker types in a cab, they are all supposed to be the same sensitivity etc. so they are all working in sync.

11. +1