Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker projection: How much does it matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Sep 5, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I have a 210 combo that seems one hell of a lot louder than 2 12s and a head at 5 feet. Is this the effect of speaker projection?

If so isn't one better off with a 2x10 on stage than a 2x12 or 1x15 for monitor? Why cart a 2x12 plus head into a PA - supported gig when a 2x10 will be more audible right next to you?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's hard to answer your question without knowing the brand of the 210 combo and 212 cab and head
    1st off the cabinet section of your combo might be have a higher sensitivity rating than the 212 cabinet you compared it to. 2nd, the 210 might be getting more watts. 3rd, different cabinets are voiced differently - some project better than others, and some epmphasize frequencies that make you percive them as "louder".
    At a PA supported gig (and i mean a gig where the PA really can handle your bass and the rest of the band with your amp turned off), the only thing dicating how big of a rig you would bring would be hwo well you and the other musicians can hear you. Monitors that can handle the bass guitar are expensive, and that's where a lot of sound companies will cut costs.
    After saying all that - hey, if your 210 cuts it, don't sweat it, be glad. :D

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Believe or not, this is comparing 2 GS112s with 635 watts into 4 ohms against a 220 watt Ampeg BA210 combo/SA BDDI. The power amp is a Yorkie 1200 watter running through a Sansamp RBI.

With everything at 8 o'clock the Aggie rig rocks the place in a big loud way. However, the BA210 combo is much louder when both are at 3 o'clock and things start to rattle on the walls much earlier. It feels like the 2x12 is a more deep - seated and less apparent loudness, while the Ampeg BA210 is in my face right away and LOUD.

I was kind of taken aback because I thought the rig would blow my head off with much more power, sensitivity and volume.

Maybe people 3 doors over are pissed when I turn on the Aggie rig... Maybe they hear it louder than me??

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the human ear is much more sensitive to mid-range frequencies than they are to really low frequencies. I would assume that the 210s are able to put out more mids than the 12s. its also a matter of taste, if you want to hear 'loud' vs. 'lows' buy accordingly.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia

6. 12" drivers also beam at a lower frequency. Unless one is standing dead-on axis, a lot of mid to high signal is lost.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the aguilar 12s in particular lack mids and are not as sensitive as other cabinets (i know i have one) - not that they're bad cabinets, but they are not voiced to be particularly "Cutting" without a little midrange boost
    although my bag end 12 has nowhere near the lows as my aggie, it's definitely more audible in a live situation. i usually use them together as they complimant each other pretty well

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There are a lot of variables. The 210 loudspeakers could be more sensitive or efficient, or they could be getting more power. They could have different frequency responses, different polar (variations in on-axis to off-axis) response, etc.

9. AMEN to that!