speaker protection

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jon mccumber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Does anyone have any thoughts on using a water repellent (ex scotchguard) on speakers like wedges and subs? Anything that might be in the line of fire from spilled drinks in bars.
    . Good idea? Or not so much.

2. I wouldn't think it was a bad idea as long as whatever you sprayed didn't effect the properties of the speaker or cabinet.

4. That's what I'm worried about.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Are you talking about the cone itself or the cab?

6. I wonder if a material such as gortex ran across the speaker grille might work. It definitely would not let liquids pass, but I'm not sure if it would effect the sound coming from the speakers too much or not.

ak56 likes this.
  7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Get a some black plastic bags (not the THICK contractor kind) and put the wedges/cabs in them. You'd think it would impact your audio but it really doesn't.
    They work great for most spills, or rain.
    I wouldn't put anything on a paper cone as they are designed the way they are.
    The kevlar ones are already coated..

8. Maybe I will look for some lightweight fabric with a pretty tight weave that I can apply some kind of water repellent to,just over the grill. It would make me feel a little safer. You know how the dance floor can get towards the end of the night.

9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    While this sounds as crazy as it looked to me when I first saw it done, it actually works and at least at moderately loud acoustic outdoor levels I couldn't tell a difference between covered and uncovered speakers. A buddy did this at a 4th of July event for a large outdoor party. The band was under a small tent and the mains were on poles with occasional rain/misting conditions. Water ran off the trash bags, speakers stayed dry and it sounded great...who would have thought??

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I'm one who'd never have thought.. until I saw it done. It works REALLY well - I was surprised. I've used this approach myself for some 20+ yrs now and thought I should share :)
    Thanks for the second !!

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021