1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker quantity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    so ive read the threads on what you need for a gig in terms of amp power and the consensus seems that you need 300 watts to gig, but how many speakers do you need? would a 1x15 cut it? or the minimum is an 8x10? for my situation my guitarist has a 4x10 what would i need?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The answer depends on a ton of variables. How big are your gigs? Do you run bass through the PA How loud does everyone play? How loud do you want to be?

3. 4x10 guitar rigs get very loud with very much less power than a bass rig with similar compliment of speakers.

With a guitarist having a 50W amp into a 4x12 you can get by with a single 15 in my experience. If he's intent on thrashing it, maybe not.

4. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    ok, well no pa support 100 watt guitar head 4x10, and small gigs(50ish people) to medium gigs (200 people). loud and loud.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What? What is this consensus? I gig with 180 watts all the time.

Most of my gigs I use a 1x15, but sometimes a 2x15.

6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    To the OP's question, there are fifteens, and then there are fifteens. You replace a generic fifteen with a high-Xmax/high-efficiency one (in a suitable cab of course, possibly modding the cab to allow the new driver to do its best work), and now it's a whole 'nother story.

7. If he really wants to push his volume, you better have a kick ass PA to compensate. It takes way more power to reproduce low end volume at the same perceived amount. Better to get your guitarist under control then think about your amp. It is possible to match his volume but you are looking at a big increase of gear on your end.