Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 27, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy an Avatar B410 Pro. I have a 5-string and have been thinking about getting the B212 so I could get 15" lows with some of mids of 10's. I did some research and found that the Eminence Kappa Pro 10's in the B410 Pro have a frequency range of 45Hz - 3kHz and the Delta 12LF's in the B212 have a frequency range of 45Hz - 3kHz. Since they have the same frequency range are they going to sound the same? Does this mean that the Kappa Pro 10's will have the lows of the Delta 12LF's? Will the Kappa's still have the punch and highs of normal 10's?

The Kappas have a resonance of 46 Hz while the Deltas have a resonance of 51 Hz. Does this make a difference in the way they sound?

I just don't want 10's that sound like 12's.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Matt

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

haven't been into cabs/speakers lately so it's not fresh in my mind. But there have been numerous excellent posts previously discussing resonant frequency as well as the numerous other parameters that apply to speakers/cabs. The resonant frequency will affect tone but I can't recall if that margin is noteworthy or not but do recall in a ported cab it would call for different size ports and perhaps cab dimensions. If you're looking to buy you need to know, so it would definetly be in your best interest to do a search becuase you'll run across a lot of useful information in the process that hasn't even crossed your mind.

The Eminence site also has lots of useful info and typically a breakdown on the tone and applications of the different model speakers. If nothing else I recall the Delta's and Kappa's are different wattage. But construction and materials will affect tone.

3. The published response range of the raw driver is mostly useless for determining suitability for electric bass. The lower and upper end are usually the -10dB points, where the apparent loudness is half of full volume.

Look for the driver resonant frequency as a guide. The response rolls off quickly below this point. The 51 Hz resonance of the Delta 12LF is awfully high for a bass that goes down to 31 Hz.

None of the 10" drivers in the Avatar line go down very low. If you use their 10" cabs with a crossover at 100 ~ 150 Hz, they will do fine. You will need another cab that is more substantial for the lows. IMO, you will get the most punch from the Kappa 10 Pro.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Eminence is pretty good about publishing measured response graphs of their drivers. They are measured in a standard baffle, not a tuned box, but you still get an apples to apples comparison.

fs doesn't tell you everything. The D12LF has an fs of 51 Hz, but its .47 Qts will allow it to potentially go much lower than the KP10 with an fs of 46Hz but a Qts of .20.

The best way to compare the possibilities is to downlaod WinISD, which has a lot of drivers in its data base, including most Eminence. You can model different drivers in the same box with various tunings to get a good idea of how they actually compare in the low end, still using the SPL charts for the high end. I also suggest checking the listed parameters in the driver base and compare the SPL to that shown on the SPL charts at 100 Hz, as the ones in WinISD often will be averaged and that's seldom accurate down where we care about. You can use the utilties in WinISD to change the listed parameters.