1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jul 31, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ok, i may be aquiring a 215 cab, not saying brand because i dont want to get responses telling me to get a better cab. and the guy who i may be getting it from, said he thinks a 15 is blown in it. its a 4 ohm 215. so, i was thinking if i get it, i could switch out the 15 from my 115 cab and use it in place of the blown one, until i can get more money to buy better gear. now to my question. ive read somewhere that some 215 cabs have 2 4 ohm speakers wired somehow so it is 4 ohms, ive also read that they have 8 ohm speakers, wired to 4 ohms, and so on, and what i was wondering is, if it is the 4 ohm speakers, and i replace one with my 8 ohm 15 , how could i wire it so it wouldnt run at an odd ohm?, or is it unlikely that both 15's will be 4 ohm speakers? sorry if its confusing.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can't wire two 4 Ohm speakers together and get 4 Ohm. You get either 8 Ohm (series) or 2 Ohm (parallel).
    Just check the speakers with a multimeter - most likely they're 8 Ohm speakers - and your idea should work.