1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I got a 5.1 speaker system for Christmas. 5 speakers and a sub.

Problem is my computer only has one input jack and three output jacks are coming out of the sub.

Is it possible to get good quality sound by buying two Y adapter and connecting the front/rear and then connect that with the c/sub and going into my computer?

2. Your description is confusing to my eyes, but rigging it up so that the front and rear speakers are doing the same thing should sound just fine. You won't get fancy positional audio to the same degree that separate channels would give you, but you will get a good immersive sound field. I'm of the opinion that surround sound is mostly overkill anyway. It can be overkill in a fun way, but it's not necessary for good audio.

Still, you may want to look into upgrading the sound card. A card with front/rear/lfe channels shouldn't cost much these days.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm not too computer savy, I have an Apple iBook, so I don't even know how that would work.

4. Ah, I assumed you had a desktop. I suppose it would be possible to get an external interface. But not necessary. I'd try it the way I think you described first. You'll probably be happy with that.