Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tigersauce, Jun 19, 2003.

1. tigersauce

tigersauce

May 23, 2003
    Ok try to follow me on this one. I have and extra speaker combo cab which used to house a 15' speaker. I disconected the amp and want to replace the 15 and add it to my stack.
    Let me first explain that I know almost nothing about ohms.
    I have a Hartke 4000 head. Which is 400watts at 4 ohms. For speakers I have an Ampeg cab with 4 10's. I'm not sure which model but I know its rated at 800 watts at 8 ohms.
    Now my questions are this. What kind of speaker will I need for the 15'? What am do I need as far as ohms and what not are concerned for the 15?
    Thanks for your help.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    get an 8 ohm speaker for the new cab, then connect them in parallel, the load will then be 4 ohms.
    you will get 400wats out of you ampeg/ner cab/head.
    First time helping anyone and being 99% im right. woooooohoooooo lol.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Wouldn't this do better in amps??:confused:

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    he obviously hasnt read the pinned topic in the GI room.........

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Bye bye from GI.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yep 99% right. But the 1% you missed is a biggie...

Every 15 inch speaker out there is designed to work in a specific enclosure size. You'll be much happier with the end result if you do a bit of homework to make sure the new speaker will be happy with the cab you're putting it into.

We can help. But you'll need to measure the cab and post the dimensions. We can work out the cab volume then start searching around for a compatible speaker. We may also need to adjust the tuning of the ports. It's a bit of effort but it's worth it.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh i took that into consideration but seeing as im still such a newbie about this i didnt wanan go and give him false information and wasnt really sure where to direct him........ ah well i answered his question lol.