speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tigersauce, Jun 19, 2003.

1. tigersauce

May 23, 2003
    Ok try to follow me on this one. I have and extra speaker combo cab which used to house a 15' speaker. I disconected the amp and want to replace the 15 and add it to my stack.
    Let me first explain that I know almost nothing about ohms.
    I have a Hartke 4000 head. Which is 400watts at 4 ohms. For speakers I have an Ampeg cab with 4 10's. I'm not sure which model but I know its rated at 800 watts at 8 ohms.
    Now my questions are this. What kind of speaker will I need for the 15'? What am do I need as far as ohms and what not are concerned for the 15?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    get an 8 ohm speaker for the new cab. then connect the two cabnets in parallel.

first time answering a post and being 99% sure im right. Brilliant!!!!! woooohoooo
  3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    'Tis true in terms of resistance in parallel. You might want to make sure that the speaker is rated for the power you intend on pumping through it.
  4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    yeh i sorta assumed that he would get a speaker thats power was 400 w or more seeing as he took it out of the combo in the first place. It might be a good idea to get a speaker rated at more than 400watts. That way if you get a new head in the future you can still use it. And you also wont be running the speaker at its max all the time.
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yep, get an 8 ohm 15", hook them up in parallel and you've got a 4 ohm load. Keep in mind that each cab will get equal wattage, in this case 200w each. Be sure to get a 15" that is at least rated for that. BUT, if you can afford it, I'd consider getting a 15" that is rated as close to your 4x10 cab as possible, so that if you upgrade your amp in the future, the 15" cab will handle it.