1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mpayne86, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    hey everyone,
    i recently acquired an old peavey cabinet that can hold a 1 x 18" speaker. The older speaker was warn and destroyed, so i have been trying to conjur up a replacement one, and unfortunatly im not finding everyhing i need as far as information is concerned. So i basically had a question on where can i find speakers with the magnets of that size "18 inch", i have looked on ebay and amazon, my local guitar shops.

I play bass, so this will need to be something compatible with a bass! and obviously my head will need to match the ohms on the speaker, or am i ok with getting a 4 ohm speaker and using an 8 ohm head? (i have a few heads that do both, and a few that do 8 ohm)

appreciate the help!

2. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
  3. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    awesome thanks!

4. you can also check directly w/Peavey's customer service dept for speaker recommendations for the cab if you give them the model number, they're first rate.

As long as your amp can manage 4 ohms there should be no problem, the vast majority of the ss heads out there will, but there are a few exceptions.

5. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
  6. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    no it was some off brand i never heard of before. But its a peavey cab.

7. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    check out carvin...I have one of their 15's stuck in a GK cab and it sounds pretty good.

8. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    i would welcome alternatives to the Peavey.

9. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
  10. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    So let me ask this, i have a friend who went to an audio store, and bought a car subwoofer for his bass amp. I havent heard it, but i imagine its not so compatible?

11. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Car sub-woofers don't have the frequency range nor the sensitivity that drivers made for bass have. I have a kick ass rockford fosgate sub then when plugged into my bass rig, does not perform anywhere near how my Eminence does.

12. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    thats what i expected, i can only wonder haha.
    Thanks for the links though!

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Any pictures of the cab? People could probably identify it and tell you what's supposed to go in it.

It's a pretty safe bet that an 18" Black Widow speaker goes in there, though.

14. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    I will get some pictures tonight!

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Two points if I may:

Dropping any driver into a cabinet not specifically designed for that driver ends up in a crapshoot. it might well work very well or more likely it won't.

If you buy a 4Ω driver then you will not be able to add a second cabinet with most bass amps. The difference in volume between the 4Ω and 8Ω versions of the same driver will be virtually unnoticeable.

16. +1000

17. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    I got a 300 watt 4ohm GK. It has an expansion for another cabinet. Is that doable? or should i get a 4x10 that does 4 ohms?

18. IMO yes scrap the 18 cab and get a 410

19. Technically yes. Does your amp do 2 ohms reliably? Most don't.

If it doesn't the only other option you have is to wire the cabinets together serially instead of the typical parallel hookup. It's a pretty odd way to do things and you'd have to make up a special cable to do it.

20. My Boogie cab has an EV 18 in it.