1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Rattle (Did a search, came up with nothing)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Scholz, Jan 7, 2012.

1. So I just picked up a mid 70s svt 810 cab... Everything is in good working order except for the bottom left speaker. At low volumes it produces a noticeable rattle, but when the volume is put higher, the rattle seems to disappear, or at least is drowned out by the actual amp volume. When the rattle is audible (at low volume) I can make it go away by applying slight pressure onto the cone with my hand. If I put pressure on the mounting ring it does not help. It only goes away when I apply very light pressure to the cone itself. Aside from this problem the speaker seems to be in good working condition. Has anybody had similar experiences? Can anybody tell me what might be going on?

2. Classic blown speaker, simple as that.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Check for voice coil rubbing. If it scrapes, it's bad. Could be a glue seam coming apart around the dustcap or where the cone meets the suspension around the edge. That you could fix yourself with some superglue or rubber cement.

4. The problem is fixed when I apply pressure to only a small area on the speaker.. on the top left right where the cone meets the bendy rubbery part.. sorry idk what this part is called.

5. Oh also, if i push on either of the the bottom 2 speakers a little bit when i'm not playing I can hear a sound like air escaping. This does not happen if I push on any of the other pairs of speakers.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The bendy rubbery part is the "surround", it's part of the suspension. Look for the glue seam coming loose where the cone is glued to that. You can fix it with rubber cement. Be sure the "air escaping" sound you hear when pushing on the bottom speakers is actually air escaping through that seam in the cone and not the voice coil scraping.