1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shwashwa, Nov 1, 2013.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    so im thinking about replacing the 15 inch speaker in my old polytone amp and i was wondering what people would recommend putting in there. just some background on what it would be used for: mostly lower volume acoustic gigs. i dont need a ton of low end extension, as a matter of fact, when i use my thunderchild 112AF i plug both ports and usually use a high pass filter as well (i play upright bass). so basically, something with a more or less flat response, but a ton of volume and crazy low end are not necessary. i usually roll of the highs also, and just find my mid frequency for the room that will help cut and punch, slight boost, and im done. the amp is a combo with a sealed back. around 100-150 watts. im having the transformers replaced too, so im not sure if there will be a power increase, but probably not.

2. JBL E130: 105 dB effeciency

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Knowing what's in there now, and your budget would help.

From eninence, the Beta, Basslite and Legend are all sealed box candidates. Can't go wrong with JBL or EV either though.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Which Polytone?
    101, Mini Brute?
    A JBL K145 is to deep to fit in an '80s Mini Brute, I tried. :)

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    its the 15 inch, so i think its an MB3. pretty old. probably 80's

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    another quick question that maybe deserves its own thread. im thinking of just making this thing a powered speaker, and getting rid of the preamp. nothing special about the preamp to me anyway, i think the magic is in the iron in the power transformers. anyway, are there any considerations with regards to the input impedance or sensitivity? ill be driving with a preamp pedal such as the tone hammer or i also like the radial pz pre, or the vt bass etc

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I had a matching cab with one of my Mini Brutes.
    I plugged my SWR SM-400 into it. Guess what?
    It sounded exactly like the Amped Polytone combo. My conclusion? That sound is greatly tailored by the sound of the cab.
    So YMMV but I wouldn't put a lot of time and money in this.
    They are great for what they are. They have some components that are difficult to find so if the amp went up you're kinda stuck.

Believe me they have this certain sound that is wonderful. I gigged a 101 for years.

8. +1

Replacing the stock 15 inch driver would likely change the tone substantially.

If you like the tone of this amp and it provides a useful amount of volume in venues you play, consider having the amp recapped, and pots and switches cleaned. The sound will be clearer and a bit more articulate, and the amp will be more reliable.