1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker repair tutorial?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K2000, Apr 19, 2010.

1. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Anybody know of an online resource that shows you how to to do simple speaker repairs with rubber cement, etc? I have two speakers that need fixing.

On one, the paper dustcap is starting to pull up, and it buzzes at volume. The other speaker needs to be examined more closely, but it's obviously been patched before, around the dustcap (the speakers are from the 80s). It also buzzes, so I'm guessing that it has the same problem, but the previous fixes may complicate things (or not?)

I don't want to make a hash of this - I know I can fix them, but I'd like to do it using 'best practices'.

If there isn't a guide online, well I think there should be...

2. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Bump... I've seen several threads about this, with recommendations to use cigarette paper, dryer sheets, toilet paper, silicon adhesive, rubber cement, Elmer's glue.

Is there an authoritative guide for this, online?

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't know of an actual 'guide' but as far as glues for the dust caps, i use the black stuff from orange county speaker. and for tears in the cones, i use their white adhesive since it remains somewhat flexible (and it dires clear).

4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm curious what kind of overlap I would make (how big) if I used a patch, and whether a patch is even necessary, whether to skimp on the glue or not (I will probably use rubber cement unless I'm told otherwise) and that sort of thing. In other words, some details.

Thanks for the reply, I will check out Orange County speaker,

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    YIKES!!! speakers from the 80's? there must be a point where they are just too worn out ??

Many repairs will only give short term satisfaction, not so bad around the dust cap though.
    Check the speaker cone travels in and out without 'any' friction or scraping, if it is rubbing, they are stuffed, only a matter of time before the voice coil shorts out and takes your amp too.
    Hopefully only the lose dust cap is causing the noise, and it can be glued with expoxy resin, just don't use rigid glue on the folded outer rims.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida