Speaker Replacement for Ashdown ABM 1x15'' cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelgore, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Kelgore

Kelgore

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi!
    During my soundcheck on Saturday my speaker blew in my (made in UK) Ashdown ABM 300W 1x15'' cabinet.
    I'm probably going to get frowned upon but I really like the sound of that cabinet together with my Ampeg PF-500 head and jazz bass. I found that it sits just right in the mix with my band.

Now I'm looking for a replacement and the Celestion Pulse 15 caught my eye.
    Does anyone here know anything about these speaker as the reviews are practically non existent and no youtube videos are made?

Suggestions are welcome.
    Looking for more than 300W, 8ohm, 15'' speaker.

Oh and btw I'm from Croatia (Europe) so not everything is available to me ;)

Thank You!!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    How about an original replacement since you really liked the cabinet?

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    No reason to frown on you for that, my Croatian friend ;)

As @agedhorse alluded to, it will sound different with a different than original driver. If you guess on a driver it might sound bad or have poor power handling, even with a higher wattage speaker.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You’re in Europe so contacting Ashdown should be pretty easy.

I once played in a Croatian band. I enjoyed playing the material and was quite comfortable with the music despite my English heritage. :)

Here in Toronto we have “Caravan" that lasts for a week. Each of the various Ethnic groups host visitors and tourists in a pavilion. There is appropriate music and food from the various areas in the world. The band was playing in the Croatian pavilion. After almost a week, even the guys in the band were getting a little tired of the music so it was suggested we play another song from our repertoire. We’re the only band to play Tush during a Caravan! :D

5. Kelgore

Kelgore

Nov 16, 2013
    Thank you for all of your thoughts but the problem is that it's a UK made cabinet and they don't make them anymore. From what I've read the speaker was designed for that box so unless someone has NOS I think I'm not going to find another one like that.
    As I have limited resources I'm forced for the time being to look at more budget friendly options.

One of them is Celestion Pulse 15 but I can't seem to find a review.
    So my question is has anyone tried one of them and what do you think?

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just because the manufacturer doesn't make the cabinet anymore doesn't mean that they do not stock the proper repair parts.

How are we going to know how the Celestion speaker is going to work, and if it's going to be to YOUR liking? If you liked the original speaker, replace it with the original part.

Bass_Pounder and snarebear like this.
  7. Kelgore

Kelgore

Nov 16, 2013
    I asked about opinions and experience with Pulse 15 speaker not if I'm going to like it or will it fit my "sound".
    Ashdown has spare speakers but for ABM cabinets made after 2011. My was made in 2007. and in UK and my experience with Ashdown is that UK and China made amps and cabinets sound drastically different both in clarity and perceived loudness. So I don't think I'm going to go in that direction.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Good luck.

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    You might find an answer if you post inside dimensions + number and dimensions of ports, if any. I'm not very good at that myself.

10. Kelgore

Kelgore

Nov 16, 2013
    Thanks. Maybe I'll try that.

11. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    I have a Ashdown MINI 1-15 300 watt cab . during a gig blew a speaker. Took it to get repaired and was told it was replaced with the same speaker but not the blue color. I said ok and it sounded exactly the same to me.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022