Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have a Gallien - Krueger 115B 8ohm cab. I dunnot know how many watts the cab is because it is nowhere on the cab, all I have is a model number: C3458
    The speaker is an Electro-Voice and here is what it says on the back of the speaker:
    Electro - Voice Inc.
    EVM model 15B OEM Type
    815-9464 716

I mostly play standard and drop D on a 4 banger but also play a 6'er with the B tuned up to C. I'm looking for a speaker that will handle better then the current speaker befor it was blown (all mids no lows). The cab is old, I've had it for 3 years and I don't know how long the previouse owner had it before he gave it to me(a friend of the family). I have Dimensions for the cab and a pic that I drew of the Dimensions that I will attach, as well all the dimentions are measurements of the inside of the cab.
    Dimensions:
    12" deep, 21 1/4" wide, and 21 1/2" tall
    V= 5482.5 cubic inches or 456.875 cubic feet. The ports are shelf type and there are three across the bottom. They are 3 3/4" deep. 6" wide and 3 1/4" tall. I hope someone can help me find a good/ efficient speaker to go in here. I will be using it with a Music Man HD-212.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You should try finding one of those Musicman 2x10s dude.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I had the option to buy the HD-210 for $225 with the HD-212, but I didn't want it(I still could buy it though if I wanted). The 15 is just hanging around and I want to buy a speaker to throw in it. I won't nessessarily use it with the HD-212, I'm actually almost saved up for an Ampeg 810. So it's not like its a big deal for a big rig, I just want to fix it. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    peace
    -Ben

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll have a look around for ya but the could be a problem. Shelf porting is very difficult to adjust/change. Even if I can find a speaker that likes that size cab, we may or may not be able to get the porting right. The chances of those ports being correct in their current form are pretty slim.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I was waiting for you to ring in Petebass.:)
    I see what your saying, whats if I pulled out the shelf, sealed it and then go about it by either routing the correct sized hole in it or, using one of thouse cool little hole cutters that fit on a drill. What are your opinions on that.
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Yeah I'm not around as much nowdays. New job keeps me busy.....

This isn't a bad idea but it would depend on how the shelf is constructed. Sometimes the shelf is also part of the structural bracing, so removing it may not be a good option. Sealing it somehow could work. Then as you say, we use circilar ports for the new speaker.

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    So let's just say we have found a speaker and have figured porting, would we just seal it off with say 3/4" treated plywood? and then just put in the ports. Also, is it nessesary to have it front ported, it has more then enough room in the back of the cab for porting, what are some advantages and disadvantages of rear porting. The only reason I pose this question is the shelf porting is across the whole bottom of the cab, 3 1/4" tall, and 6 inches wide seperated by 3/4" wood (there are 3 of them). It does seem to be part of the structure as there are separations in the shelf. The shelf only goes back 3 3/4" but the separations go all the way to the back of the cab, what are your thoughts on this? Also do the ports have to be located in any specific spot?
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

EDIT:
    Alright I just re-drew the cab, and I marked the old shelf porting in Red, and I mocked up what it might look like with ports in the front, depending on what the size of the ports are. Would you say two smaller ports or one larger port? anywho, just thought I'd alter the pic.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sounds structural to me - I think? Have you got a pic you can post? Either way if we can seal it off and make it airtight, we're set!

As for front Vs rear, sound wise there's no difference. Have a look at Acme's website. There's a section where Andy explains it better than I can. He even ports his 1x10 on the side.........

The only disadvantage to rear ports is you have to allow for it when you're placing your speaker on stage. You've gotta ba careful not to block the port.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright I just re-drew the cab, and I marked the old shelf porting in Red, and I mocked up what it might look like with ports in the front, depending on what the size of the ports are. Would you say two smaller ports or one larger port? anywho, just thought I'd alter the pic. I don't have a digi camera right now, it's out on load and well I have no say in it. I hope my pic I drew helps out.
    peace
    -Ben

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry it took so long to reply.

I calculate a 77 litre box. I sorted Bgavin's spreadsheet by speaker size, then by cab size.

Definitely look at the JBL E145. I've actually got one and it's got a punchy low end. They're not easy to find though. It's got the highest -3dB point on this list though, so I don't know if it's what you're after.

The list reads Make, model, typical application, Resonant Frequency, -3DB point.

JBL, E145-8, 4-str, 35Hz, 85Hz.
    Selenium, 15SW1P, 4-str, 36Hz, 55Hz.
    Eminence, Magnum 15HO, 5-str, 33Hz, 71Hz,
    BBC, SW400/8, 6-str, 24Hz, 76Hz
    Pyle, PE 292-160, Sub, 35Hz, 42Hz,
    Gauss, 4583F, 6-str, 22Hz, 74Hz,
    B&C, 15PS40 2, 5-str, 35Hz, 56Hz,
    RCF, L15L601, 4-str, 38Hz, 64Hz.
    Celestion, BX154085HS, Bass, 36Hz, 73Hz,

If I were you, I'd be leaning towards the Selenium or the Eminence.

Let me know which drivers you prefer and we will sort your porting out then.

11. The Selenium seem to be a well kept secret. Same for the B&C.

I've put another column (C) into the spread sheet, which is strictly a personal preference thing. I picked several drivers that 120 SPL or higher, with a decent F3 delta and cabinet size, then assigned them a 1-2-3 value for quick sorting.

Loudness is a strong weighting factor. Very few bassists play in venues where they are encouraged to turn down. Most have to turn up to 10 keeping up with guitar players.

The front/rear port thing is sure getting old. Perhaps it is time to put together a test cabinet and panel of blind folded experts to see if they can hear the difference in port location. One port would be blocked, while the other is unblocked. A standard DI bass riff recording would drive the cabs.

I figure an hours' time would do it. 20 iterations of front port only, 20 of rear port only, and another 20 of a random pattern. Using multiple listeners will clearly demonstrate the guessing involved in choosing A or B, when the port position is not changed.

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hey thanks for helping out Petebass, also thanks for the spread sheet bgavin. I think I'm looking at either the Selenium, 15SW1P or the B&C, 15PS40 2, as well as the JBL, E145-8. I will look around on the net and try to find some places that I may be able to find these. Thanks a bunch. I will reply back soon with a choice, what are some characteristics of these speakers?
    anyway
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

13. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I've got the same cabinet,the EV is rated at 400 watts, handles lots of juice,but is all mids no bottom end,i use it for small gigs and at rehearsal place,i sometimes pair it with my peavey 410 TX,that sounds pretty decent together,but I'm trying to decide whether to go portable 2 neo 112's or? or go to a really good 410 .

Cheers