Speaker Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Mar 24, 2005.

1. A friend of mine's friend is selling is selling an older Ampeg 8x10 fairly cheap, but it has two blown speakers. If the ohm resistance is 4 ohms for the cab, what would be the individual resistance for each speaker? 4 ohms? 8? I'm confused... HELP! :confused:
  2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I think any way

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  3. Just have the originals reconed. It's cheaper and it'll keep the cab to factory specs.
  4. Um, being a very cheap college student, how much cheaper would it be to recone them instead of replacing them?
  5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    As far as I know, the common 8x10 cabs all have 32 ohm speakers. I recall one or two specialty types being different.

We may have the speakers in stock, depends on how old "older" is.

If it is "vintage 70's" we may not have them. If it is later than 1986 or so, we very well may have them, depending on exact model.

Re-coning often is pretty good, and may be the only option for some speakers. As for "keeping it to factory specs", that depends on the reconing outfit, and on what is available. Some of the old cone companies either are not in business, or no longer make a particular type cone, for one reason or another.
  6. Unfortunately, i'm not sure what year model it is. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and hopefully i'll get the all the specs on it I need.
  7. To recone, about $100 per driver give or take. A recone puts the driver back to it's original specs. They strip it down to the bare basket and rebuild the whole thing. It's like getting new Ampeg speakers for a lot less than buying new Ampeg speakers. You can find new 10" drivers for less probably, but they won't match the rest of the drivers and the cab's performance is bound to suffer.
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A recone should cost about the same as a new driver in this case, which by the way is an OEM version of the Eminence Beta 10. The Beta 10 is a drop-in replacement, widely available for about $70 w/shipping. The Carvin PS10 is also interchangeable. Use the 8 ohm model, that's what you have now, unless it's a particularly old model, when 32 ohm Jensens (the same as used in Fender Super Reverbs on occasion) were sometimes employed.

If in doubt measure the DCR of a single driver with a digital multimeter; the DCR will be about 80% of the impedance, so an 8 ohm driver will measure around 6 ohms.