1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Replacement suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 9, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I had a Fender BXR200 combo for which I converted to a stand alone cab(The amp went bad and I removed it). I want to upgrade the speaker. What would be a good 4ohm 15" speaker for this cab? Of course I'm looking at Eminence.

Cab_frontview.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Got internal measurements? Is that ported? Then it's also be nice to have an idea what the dimensions of that are.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It is ported at the bottom. I don't know the internal dimensions. I'll see if it's in the manual. I'm not a speaker builder nor have I ever replaced a speaker before. The current speaker works. Just thought I'd update to a Neo and make the cab lighter to transport.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I doubt you'll find internal volume in the manual. You either need to take out the speaker and measure the interior (subtracting bracing) or get measurments for the relevant portion from the outside, then subtract what the wall thickness adds.

How much power do you want to use with it?

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No more than 250w-300w. I looked on the Eminence website and it look like there's only 2 to choose from. The standard magnet model and a Neo magnet model. I'm not looking for sound projection but just stage monitoring and so my bandmates can feel the bass through coupling (I don't like to play loud).

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i'd simply get the deltalite. light, powerful and reasonably priced. i have the 12 and am very happy with it.

7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I've replaced my workingman 10 and my CT212 with deltalites and not only do I like the sound but also the weight reduction

8. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    depends on your wallet, JBL is my first choice, EVM's are good too, but Carvin makes a good speaker too! they are easy on your wallet too! www.carvin.com

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    JBL and EV no longer sell musical instrument drivers to either the DIY or OEM markets; Carvin gets theirs from Eminence.

10. I concur: I just bought two 12" speakers from Carvin Corp over the web. They are very
    rugged and seem quite efficient in my judgement. They have a good, all-around tone.