1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TechZilla, Jan 21, 2006.

1. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    I’m looking for some guidance on a replacement 12” speaker for one of my cabs. I got the cab from evilbay a few months back on one of those “I’ll bid $40 bucks for the heck of it” deals and low and behold I won the thing. It’s a Madison cab with a 12 a 6 and a horn, built in crossover and lpad for the horn. It’s well built and seems well worth what I paid for it. I’ve used it along with my 4x10 for the last few months but recently I’ve noticed a horrible rattle and buzz coming from the 12. I’ve not put enough power to the thing to damage it for sure and I’m wondering if it didn’t have some sort of problem to start with and it does have a rub if you press on the cone.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with aftermarket replacement speakers and could offer some advice. Keep in mind I’m on the “Al Bundy” budget hence the $40 cab so a brand new EV or the like is unfortunately not a practical solution for me.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Madison drivers are quite inexpensive, and you've just found out why. The rub when you press on the cone means that it's toast. I wouldn't use anything less than an Eminence Delta 12LF. BTW, you say there is a crossover to the horn. What about the 6? If there's no crossover for that it will be the next thing to go, if it hasn't already.

3. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. The crossover is a 3way and seems to function properly so i'm not concerned about blowing the 6" mid. The wierd thing is that today this cab sounded fine, very much like it did when I first got it. I spent a few hours today using it and never experienced the previous problem. I'm still not convinced that all is well but I do feel a little bit better. As you pointed out I realize this is not top of the line gear so my expetcations are not set too high. If I do decide that the 12 needs to be replaced I'll definitely take a look at the Eminence products they see to be highly regarded here as well as the enclosures that use them.

Thanks again for your advice.