Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Replacement!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Dec 30, 2001.

1. I have an Ampeg SVT-15E cabinet with a blown speaker. I'm thinking of replacing the 200W 8ohm speaker that was in it with a 4ohm speaker of at least 350W rating.

So far, the only sources that I've found are Peavey (Black Max), Carvin (PS15-C4), and Eminence (Kappa-15).

I would like some opinions on these speakers from anyone with experience with them. I would also like some information from anyone else who has done something like this. Good idea, bad idea?

My reason for wanting to re-speaker with a heavier speaker is: 1) to save a little money and use the existing cabinet that I have; 2) I was planning on going to a heavier 15" anyway.

I'm not worried about having a horn or tweeter as I usually run this cabinet with another cabinet so equipped.

Thanks for all help that you can provide.

2. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    You'll need to compare the thiele-small parameters of the speaker you're replacing with the possible replacements. Any of the speakers you listed are of decent quality, but they have different requirements as far as cabinet volume and port sizes. It shouldn't be too difficult to calculate your port and cabinet dimensions and check them against the application chart for the speakers you like.

Personally, I'd go with Eminence or Peavey.

Greg

3. can't go wrong with Eminence

4. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Hi Sammy,
    I replaced all the original and cheaper components in my SWR Workingman's 15" cab (front ported) for your same reasons.
    My choice was for these ones:
    - Eminence Kappa 15LF delivering 400W rms and with a usable frequency range 35Hz-3KHz;
    - Eminence APT 80 tweeter;
    - Eminence Pxb2-3k5 crossover.
    As I run this cab alone I needed a smooth tweeter for the necessary directiveness.
    The overall sound got a great improvement in tone and presence so I can say to be very satisfied for the work. I drive it with a SWR 350 head.
    Obviously the weight of the cab now is almost twice than before the "treatment".
    I agree with Hammong about the necessity to check the Thiele-Small parameters card of the speaker in order to fit it exactly in your cab.
    Happy new year