Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tucker, Jan 6, 2002.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Hey I'm looking to replace my speaker on my BX-BW 115. It's rated 4 ohms, and I got a SWR Workinman 210 @ 8 ohms. In order for me to run both of those through my head ( minimum 4 ohm load) I need to change the speaker on my BX-BW115 to make it 8 ohm. I was looking at Carvin speakers but I never heard any reviews about them. What speaker would you suggest I get that is a 15" 8 ohm load Any good brands out there that are worth it? I really want to play both my 210 and 115 together and see what they sound liek together. So if you can suggest some ideas i owuld relaly appreciate it. Thanks
  2. Eminence are one of the better ones for bass.
  3. I'll quote myself from another very recent thread.

If you wanna play it safe, get the same speaker (BW) as the original, but an 8 ohms version of it.
  4. groovecat

Jan 5, 2002
    I recently replaced an eminence 15 in my genz-benz 115 cab. I used an electro voice cast frame 115 I couldn't believe the difference. Cost $240 at AMS. Its capable of 400watts at 8 ohms.Don't know what you are looking to spend but I think the EV is definately worth checking out.
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ill agree with joris.... but if you insist on changing speaker models (aside from just the 4-8 ohm conversion) at least try to find something thats similar in T-S parameters... i for one however dont see why you would want to change models, as the BW speaker is known to be very good. carvin speakers are made by eminence, but that doesnt mean shiznatch, as they are made to carvins specs... they are not of the typical eminence quality, and i would say avoid them.

one more thing-if all you need is an 8 ohm version, maybe you could put out an add looking to trade for one? you never know, there may be someone in the exact opposite situation.
  6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    It seems that there are some different views in this thread. From my experience I've change a small magneticed speaker to a huge ev and it sounded different but the cabinet design restricted the speaker it started distorting before peak power because it couldn't breath enough. I've blown a 400 watt sub woofer putting it in a sub box designed for a lower wattage speaker I beleive because of the same problem. I would have to agree with Joris unless you have the time and money on your hands to R&D. Perhaps some other people have got lucky, but I don't think a lot of people like to share there plunders.. good luck to you in your bass experience.
  7. groovecat

Jan 5, 2002
    My Genz-Benz cabinet was within the EV Specs for the 400 watt cast frame.It sounds great from 1 to 350 watts(haven't run a 400 watt head tru it yet.)
    Switch out of speakers can become tricky,sometimes a little technical and if all elements of the eqation are not in line you could get poor resuts. Joris,SR,and bassstud 1 have valid points. Maybe you should consider trading or switching to an 8 ohm BW. I guess I was just lucky in the fact that Genz benz offered the Ev as an option and the cabs were acceptable to it. Hope this clears up any confusion my post may have caused.
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    How much did you like the cab before? Is it worth replacing it with the original speaker if you can get it? Maybe it is time to shop for a new cab.
  9. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    After I blew the original 200-watt speaker in my Bag End cabinet last year, I replaced it with the Carvin 600-watt version. To be honest, I noticed no difference in sound and the Carvin will handle just about any amount of power you can dish out. Also, a lot cheaper than buying an Eminence, EV, etc. I think the sound characteristic of a cabinet depends mostly on the cabinet design, not the speaker. The Bag End is a remarkable cabinet, delivering more bottom end than my SWR Goliath III despite being half the size! Good luck
  10. You could just order an 8ohm replacement basket from a Peavey dealer.I've done this before with the same cab as you.It's kind of expensive cause the dealer has to change it to keep the warranty on the new cone,but it's cheaper than buying a whole new speaker.